Sony Pictures unveils new character graphic of Magnus Bane

After an exciting start to “Week of Mortal Love” celebration (in which we got images of SimonIsabelle, Alec and Jace), Sony Pictures unveiled the fifth graphic after another day filled with clues leading up to the reveal.

Here’s our first look at Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane:

528547_428881620521917_612456084_n

Here’s the blurb from Sony:

“He sees beyond the city in your head.”

Here’s what Cassandra Clare had to say:

Well, hello there, MAGNUS.

Magnus, being all high warlock of Brooklyn and stuff.

Things I noticed : Well, I’ve never seen this set before, so I’m not going to assume I know where Magnus is right here, specifically. Things I do notice: warlock cat’s eyes! Badass jewelry! Nail polish and guyliner! Important life lessons to take away from this film: just because a dude is wearing nail polish doesn’t mean he can’t beat the crap out of you. The necklace is a bird’s skull dipped in silver, which is just a neat little touch.

I think the drink in his hand is from the party scene: the drinks were all different colors, so we weren’t allowed to drink them because I think they were like, antifreeze. I spilled some on a ghoul and he was sticky all night. (You can see a bright red drink behind Magnus, with the candles.)

Thanks to Sony and http://instagram.com/mortalmovie for being so awesome and I look forward to what Valentine’s Day brings. Have you been good Shadowhunters? Do you think you deserve an extra present? :D

MTV debuted the full still:

Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane

They also unveiled an exclusive interview:

Magnus is a multi-layered character, to be sure, and it was a role Gao said he relished.

“I love Magnus Bane’s character because [he] can live forever and never age a day, and who doesn’t want to live forever?” Gao told MTV News. “I also love that Magnus is a flamboyant party animal, and it’s fun to be described that way compared to the other characters I’ve portrayed previously. Magnus is so out there, he’s definitely a character I will never forget!”

Magnus’ “out there” persona boasts plenty of theatricality in his dress and personal grooming (evidenced by our first look photo). And, surprisingly, Gao said the transformation didn’t translate to hours in the makeup chair.

“Magnus’ extravagant style of dress and makeup was quite the hot topic when I arrived to shoot in Toronto. All the glitter, nail polish, eye-liner and the outfits combined made Magnus the character that everyone loves and envisioned in their minds,” Gao said. “While I never spent more than 30 minutes for hair and makeup, the results for Magnus’ style … let’s just say the hair, makeup and costume team/departments did a fantastic job of styling my character, and I enjoyed every single moment of transforming into Magnus! The warlock outfit with the black cape and hoody was very intriguing as well!”

Sony will reveal more character images every day (at the same time 8 PM ET/5 PM PT) leading up to Valentine’s Day on Thursday.

Be sure to follow the film’s official social media accounts: TwitterFacebookInstagram and YouTube.

Check out all of the official photos released so far

Thoughts? Who do you think we’ll get tomorrow?

About these ads

Comments

1. nevertrustaduck says:

His eyes are cool, but he’s not very glittery. :(

2. Anyone else get all jumpy and excite even though they new it would be him?

3. luluonline99 says:

still, maybe he’ll be more glittery in the film

• nevertrustaduck says:

i hope so. i don’t know why but i desperately need to see him covered in glitter to officially see him as magnus

4. HOLY CRAP!!!!!! – that’s all I got other than…………..it’s totally WICKED!!!!!!

5. Finally we catch a glimpse of Magnus and I am not at all disappointed! He looks absolutely great!

6. High Warlock of St. Louis says:

AAAAHHHHHHH!!! It’s Magnus! Finally! I’m hyperventilating (spelling?)! Can’t breathe… can’t breathe!!!

7. I just died. XP

8. that open shirt…. Oh my lawd! I’m burning up! Sooooo HOT!

9. OMG!!!!!!

10. One word: HOT!!!!!! I CANNOT wait for this movie:)))))

11. I’m fangirl-ing like CRAZY right now!

12. teamedwardjace says:

i love it! and he looks super hot! i have a crush on the tmi cast! I can’t wait for lily as clary tommorow!

13. MAGNUS!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED TO FINALLY SEE HIM!!!!! HE LOOKS SOOOO HOT!!!

14. OH MY GOD!!!! Fan-girling SOOOO hard right now!!! MAGNUS!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

15. Wow – lookin real sexy Magnus. We finally get to see him :)

16. Desktop background. Set. <3 <3

17. KikilovesJace says:

Whoa! We finally get a picture! :)

18. Oh my God he’s so hot! His eyes are crazy! I love it!!!! Ahhhhh! Im fangirling!

19. OMG!!!!!!!!! Finally we see Magnus :) He looks so hot and exactly the way magnus should be. !!!

20. I knew it’d be Magnus! Crazy thing is I dreamt of seeing a picture of him, and it looks a lot like this pic. o.O

21. He is PERFECT and if you disagree than I dont know what youre doing in this fandom

22. WHERE’S THE GLITTER!!! :o

23. I LOVE MAGNUS!!
    I’m very happy that he’s not too much glittery. I also think that wouldn’t have worked on screen.
    But HE IS SO HOT!
    (I’m just goning crazy right now. :) )

24. NOT ENOUGH GLTTER. BORING COSTUME. STUBBLE.

25. Omg he looks gorgeous, now I can only see him as Magnus….can you imaging if they gonna make a TID movie, the Godfrey absolutely has to be in it too.

26. OMFG, I JUST DIED, MAGNUS LOOKS SOOO AMAZINGLY HOT AND SEXY, IM LOST FOR WORDS, SMOKIN HOT SEXY GORGEOUS, GOD IM GOING CRAZY HERE, MAGNUS BABY, YOU SOO BEAUTIFUL ITS A CRIME TO US LAME MORTAL TO SEE YOU IN ALL YOUR MAGNUS GLORY, ALL I CAN SAY IS ALEC BABE YOU ONE LUCKY GUY,…. xD

27. AHHHHHHHHHHH! hes all golden and schmexyyyyyy i fancy himmmmmm!!

28. Cinderbella says:

Holy crap Magnus is HOT! Never thought I’d have have the hots for Magnus Bane but there it is. I can’t wait to see more of our favourite warlock :):)

29. KikiLOVESJace says:

You gotta love those cool cat eyes! I know I do! :)

30. crazy_over magnus says:

Loovvee the photo i’m happy but now i want to see chairman meow

31. “There’s a map inside your head, Clary…” Gaaaahhhhh geeking so hard hahaha. I love that line!
    Even though it looks like the movie will be really faithful to the books, it still looks like there will be a lot of stuff changed too. I mean just look at Valentine. He’s a completely different character than what the book calls for. Kinda angering…it’s like, what’s the point? What’s so hard about giving Valentine the white hair? Why…..just why. It just makes me angry instead of excited. Completely ruins it for me.

32. omg finally

33. drop dead

34. becauseitonlygetsbetter says:

He’s so magnificent :’D

35. Not at all I pictured him in my head when I read the books… I prefer mine.

Trackbacks

1. [...] of Mortal Love” (in which we got images of Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Jace and Magnus), Sony Pictures unveiled a new graphic fitting for Valentine’s [...]

2. [...] as Isabelle Lightwood, Kevin Zegers as Alec Lightwood, Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland, Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane and Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Valentine [...]

3. [...] of Mortal Love” celebration (in which we got images of Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Jace, Magnus and Valentine, Sony Pictures unveiled the final character graphic after another day filled with [...]

4. [...] released the first Magnus Bane still from THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES (check it out here) and today we have even more Godfrey Gao [...]