CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE snippet featuring characters from DARK ARTIFICES

20130514-133310.jpg

Cassandra Clare shared a spoilery snippet from City of Heavenly Fire, the conclusion to the international bestselling The Mortal Instruments out early next year.

The snippet features some characters we’ll next see in The Dark Artifices, coming March 2015.

A moment later, Helen had returned; she was walking slowly now, and carefully, her hand on the back of a thin boy with a mop of wavy brown hair. He couldn’t have been older than twelve, and Clary recognized him immediately. Helen, her hand firmly clamped around the wrist of a younger boy whose hands were covered with blue wax. He must have been playing with the tapers in the huge candelabras that decorated the sides of the nave. He looked about twelve, with an impish grin and the same wavy, bitter-chocolate hair as his sister.

Jules, Helen had called him. Her little brother.

The impish grin was gone now. He looked tired and dirty and frightened. Skinny wrists stuck out of the cuffs of a white mourning jacket whose sleeves were too long for him. In his arms he was carrying a little boy, probably not more than two years old, with the same wavy brown hair that he had; it seemed to be a family trait. The rest of his family wore the same borrowed mourning clothes: following Julian was a brunette girl about ten, her hand firmly clasped in the hold of a boy the same age: the boy had a sheet of tangled black hair that nearly obscured his face. Fraternal twins, Clary guessed. After them came a girl who might have been eight or nine, her face round and very pale between brown braids.

The misery on their faces cut at Clary’s heart. She thought of her power with runes, wishing that she could create one that would soften the blow of loss. Mourning runes existed, but only to honor the dead, in the same way that love runes existed, like wedding rings, to symbolize the bond of love. You couldn’t make someone love you with a rune, and you couldn’t assuage grief with it, either. So much magic, Clary thought, and nothing to mend a broken heart.

“Julian Blackthorn,” said Jia Penhallow, and her voice was gentle. “Step forward, please.”

Julian swallowed and handed the little boy he was holding over to his sister. He stepped forward, his eyes darting around the room. He was clearly scouring the crowd for someone. His shoulders had just begun to slump when another figure darted out onto the stage. A girl, also about twelve, with a tangle of blond hair that hung down around her shoulders: she wore jeans and a t-shirt that didn’t quite fit, and her head was down, as if she couldn’t bear so many people looking at her. It was clear that she didn’t want to be there — on the stage or perhaps even in Idris — but the moment he saw her, Julian seemed to relax. The terrified look vanished from his expression as she moved to stand next to him, her face ducked down and away from the crowd.

“Julian,” said Jia, in the same gentle voice, “would you do something for us? Would you take up the Mortal Sword?”

Shadowhunters, what do you think of the latest snippet? Sound off in the comments!

About these ads

Comments

1. Tatiana Grimm says:

WHAT DID SHE DO TO GET THE MORTAL SWORD D:

• He not she, Julian Blackthorn. And it’s something they probably saw not done and are interrogated by the Mortal Sword, but could be wrong.
      So depressing..

• Shadows_Girl says:

yhhh shes a he.. and i love with that he. so do not be mean to Jules! ;) #LoveTheHerondales <3 the Blackthorns

2. Oh my God! There are some the dark artifices!! Cant wait :D and i wonder if Clary will create new runes in CoHV! :D xo

3. I have a feeling that this is the event after the battle D:
    Im scared!

4. teamedwardjace says:

cannot wait but what happened before?

5. teamedwardjace says:

i’m scared to know!

6. aww making a kid use the mortal sword how sad..

7. Hmm. A bit confusing. I wonder what happened prior to this. If you ask me, this is mainly a TDA snippet than a CoHF one. It barely refers to Clary, just Julian and Jia.

• And Emma, though is not mentioned by name-the blond girl who Julian saw and relaxed. It’s probably after her parents died and the Clave is investigating? Maybe Julian’s parents are also dead?

• High Warlock of St. Louis says:

Julian’s parents did die, but not Emma’s. Cassie said that when describing the characters once.

• High Warlock of St. Louis says:

Sorry, no. Christina’s parents didn’t die, but Emma’s did… Right?

• Yeah, it’s actually like I said. The first thing I learned about Emma is that her parents die in CoHF and her whole character arc for TDA is based on and expanded by that fact-becoming the best shadowhunter there is (since Jace, which still troubles me) and revenge her parents death by killing every single demon there is. They probably bond with Julian over the fact that they both have lost their parents?

8. Clary was talking about mourning, I wonder who died…

9. IrishShowhuntersAnonymous says:

OMG why does she do this to us! There are so many theories going on in my head right now. Poor Julian he must be so scared. I’m guessing he see’s his parents being killed and the sword is being used to get answers for what he saw? Oh I don’t know….. I want to read it now!! Don’t want to ruin it for anyone who hasn’t read the Clockwork Princess but he’s a Blackthorn so one of his ancestors married Lucie right? So is that where the boy with the tangled black hair gets it from?

10. Wow! Poor Jules. Wonder what happened. I already love these characters. Cassie has this way of emotionally connecting you to a character with little to no effort. Cant wait for Heavenly Fire! Sounds like it’ll be as good CoG, my favorite book.

11. JaceYourMine!! says:

noo poor jules!! whats sebastian now!!!:( im really really scared, clarys in idris aswell!!! theres sooo many question i have from this why is she in idris, is this after the battle, is jace with herr!! ARGHHH cassie what are you doing to us

12. JaceYourMine!! says:

done*

13. Caroline Blackthorn says:

Jules!!!! Who died?!?!?!?! What happened?!?! Huh?!?!? These are my current thoughts. Also, I thought Helen had blonde hair?

14. KikiLOVESJace says:

I think those characters are Juilian Blackthorn, Octivia blackthorn, tiberius blackthorn, and tiberius sister.

15. Eponine says:

It’s Julian holding Octavius, Olivia and Tiberius, then Drusilla. Emma is the one who runs up on stage. Julian’s mother can’t have died because it doesn’t seem that teh youngest, Ariadne, has been born yet, but maybe she’s just not there. Mark’s not there either. Why are they all wearing clothes that don’t fit?

16. CashmereHerondale says:

Cassie said that some characters from TDS have dark roles in COHF, what if Julian is one of those characters? O__O

17. nonchalantlouis says:

Reblogged this on booksmusicrandom and commented:
    Excited for this! ^_^

18. Maybe I’m the only one, but I don’t care about about characters from Dark artifices…not yet, at least. Maybe never. So I’m a little disappointed by this snippet, because I was so happy to see a CoHF snippet and it’s not really one…Well, I hope the next one will be about Clary and co ^^

19. Someone of the Blackthorns died? Hmm… not Helen, Julian, Livia, Tiberius, Drusilla or Octavian, and Ariadne is unborn yet… so, is the dead Mark?

20. I think the parents of the blackthorn parents died. Clary talks about grief and all the children are sad. It seems that Emma gives Julian strength and he puts emma in line…. I ship it.

21. its a parabatai ceremony between him and emily, the main character in dark artifices, you know the story, the grow up 5 years later 2012 in Cali. they fall in love they arent supposed to

22. OMG!! Its Julian!! <3

23. Chocolatethunda says:

I want another snippet… or you know maybe the book? :) So excited literally dying to know what happens. Hurry Cassandra! :)

24. Figuratively choked when I read the snippet. Really have my hands and brain itching for THAT book right now. I’m still caught in the afterglow of reading the series that I’m having a hard time reading anything else.

25. Gailzzz says:

For me, the scene may refer to Julian being a witness of something very bad about his father (and maybe he died, as they all seem to be in grief). There is no Mark anywhere, and I think he still be alive as we have a picture of him in the art for the season, playing with Livy, so I think he is “safe”… but their father is another thing. I also tought both parents died, but then I remember Ariadne and she hasan’t even born, but the mother could be pregnant of her alredy and be the reason why she was the last Blackthorn after a long line of children.

Also, we have Emma for the first time here, and her parents are alredy dead, so this coulb be something that make a stronger bond between her and Julian, and why they become Parabatai afterwards.

26. Fangs and teeth says:

Do you remember, in Cristina’s description, it says that she is one of the few institute children whose parents are alive, and I thought ‘hey! all the Blackthorns have their parents ALIVE!’ But I’m nut very sure now…