Jace and Clary ride through Idris in new ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet

20140222-074247.jpg

City of Heavenly Fire will be released in less than 12 weeks – who’s excited? – and today Cassandra Clare has shared another snippet on her tumblr page.

SPOILERS

Idris had been green and gold and russet in the autumn, when Clary had first been there. It had a stark grandeur in the winter: the mountains rose in the distance, capped white with snow, and the trees along the side of the road that led back to Alicante from the lake were stripped bare, their leafless branches making lace-like patterns against the bright sky.

Sometimes Jace would slow the horse to point out the manor houses of the richer Shadowhunter families, hidden from the road when the trees were full but revealed now. She felt his shoulders tense as they passed one that nearly melded with the forest around it: it had clearly been burned and rebuilt. Some of the stones still bore the black marks of smoke and fire. “The Blackthorn manor,” he said. “Which means that around this bend in the road is …” He paused as Wayfarer summited a small hill, and reined him in so they could look down to where the road split in two. One direction led back toward Alicante — Clary could see the demon towers in the distance — while the other curled down toward a large building of mellow golden stone, surrounded by a low wall. “ … the Herondale manor,” Jace finished.

The wind picked up; icy, it ruffled Jace’s hair. Clary had her hood up, but he was bare-headed and bare-handed, having said he hated wearing gloves when horseback riding. He liked to feel the reins in his hands. “Did you want to go and look at it?” she asked.

His breath came out in a white cloud. “I’m not sure.”

Do you think Jace will visit the house where his biological family used to live? Sound off in the comments!

About these ads

Comments

1. Reonna Leigh Orr says:

of course but then soemthing bad is going to happen.

2. oh the wait is killing me lol

3. yes, but we all know that something is going to happen while they’re there!!! oh my gawd! the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!

4. JHerondale_134 says:

You better go visit it Jace, so that we can all be nostalgic & think about the TID characters…

5. Danielle says:

Soooooo excited for this book!

6. magnus! says:

Of course i can’t believe i never thought of that. Its the place that cassie sayed they would visit.OMG cant wait for the book to come out. its too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. WILL/JEM says:

OH MY GOD!!!!
    THE HERONDALE MANOR!!!!!!!!!!!
    I DON’T THINK I COULD WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!
    WHAT IF WILL LIVED THERE BEFORE!!!!!!!:)

8. OH MY GOSH I CANNOT WAIT ANYMORE

9. Oh my word he has to go and see were he would of grown up if his father didn’t die and his mother never killed herself

10. claceforever says:

He has to visit it. He just has too

11. MAYBE THEY MIGHT SEE TESSA THERE!!!!!

12. Of course he will: Jace Wayland/Morgestern/Lightwood/Herondale is no coward.

13. Colleen says:

The Herondale manor is the place where Jace was born and his mother died. The last person to live their was Imogen Herondale (Inquisitor).

Why are they on Wayfarer isn’t that the Verloc’s horse?

Was the Blackthorn manor burned during The Mortal war (CoG) or The Uprising?

Is this going to be a new tradition for Cassie: the last book in the series/ trilogy has to have a Herondale on horseback?

14. Rowena Drake says:

Isn’t Wayfarer the same horse from CoG?

15. Is it just me, or is everyone else starting to get super confused about chronology and geneolgy in Cassie writing. I feel like, and this isn’t meant to be an insult, she’s making her stories to complex. I don’t really have the draw to the books anymore, because I’m intimidated by the connections you have to make. Idk, it’s probs just me……

16. Well im wondering if the burned Blackthorn manner will be connected with the series The Last Hour I mean its about the Blackthorns and it might get burned in that serie for a reason. I dnt know but I do love how she writes because I’ve read her books and I like it when I read TMI and find out that some parts are from TID series. For example where Isabelles necklace came from or when jace was in the silent city and found JG writen on the wall that was Jessamine. Maybe its just me but I do enjoy her book a lot specially when I read a part from TMI and I know I saw it in TID I just keep going back nd forth to make sure I make the connection.

17. Malec Fangirl says:

Just go in, Jace Christopher Herondale. Just. Go. Flipping. In.

18. Jessie's twin says:

he better go in!
    By The Angel I cant wait for this any longer!
    and also talking about snippets, has any one noticed that one of the snippets for CoHF is someone describing a rune.
    snippet #17
    ” A rune, hovering like an angel: a shape like two wings joined by a single bar”
    this snippet is obviously a new rune or an old one but I was re-reading CoB and when clary is on the roof of the b=vampire hotel she see’s behind her eyes THAT exact rune!
    I believe that that rune is one that will make someone fly!
    if you don’t believe me just check it out.
    when she is standing on top of the hotel with Jace trying to think of a way down and she says she could see that rune but she dismissed it.

19. Something is going to happen!!!!!!! Ahhh I shouldn’t have read it!!!!!!! Now I need the book in my hands NOW!!!!!!!

20. magnus! says:

that is so awsome. i never thought of that.

21. Jessie's twin says:

as soon as I read the vampire hotel part I dived to my computer and checked out the snippet again
    I might have pushed past part of my family to get there :( but oh well, they need to learn how to dodge flying people :)
    STILL CANT WAIT!!

22. Malec101 says:

Yes, I’m positive they will go in. But then…… something bad happens and one of them gets hurt. Dun dun dunnnnn.

23. As soon as i read that comment at school i ran to the library and ripped it out of a persons who was going to borrow it and found that part. OMG. Watch out for the book snatcher.LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

24. persons hands LOL.

25. NEED NEW SNIPPETS‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗ I’m dying of boredom here‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼‼❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗❗