MARCH 27, 2007
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it’s hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.
Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary’s mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know….
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare’s ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.
“Funny, dark and sexy. One of my favorite books.”
-Holly Black, New York Times bestselling author
“New York is the city that never sleeps — but evil spirits, angels, warlocks, faeries and shadowhunters don’t need much rest anyway. The city is home to Cassandra Clare’s young-adult debut novel, a cool, pleasingly dark and spicy urban fantasy called City of Bones.”
“An addictive adventure that will keep you begging for more.”
-Alyssa Barbieri, TMIsource.com
- A New York Times Bestseller
- Finalist for the Locus Award for Best First Novel of 2007
- An American Library Association Teens Top Ten Award winner, 2008
- A Georgia Peach Book Award Honor Book for Teen Readers
- Winner of The 2010 Abraham Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award
- Winner of the 2010 Pacific Northwest Library Association Young Reader’s Choice Award
- A Texas TAYSHAS title 2010
- Shortlisted for the 2010 Evergreen Young Adult Book Award
- Shortlisted for The 2010 Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book Award