‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones’
Film Status: Pre-Production
Release Date [U.S.A.]: August 23, 2013
Filming Start Date: August 15, 2012
Filming Locations: Toronto, New York City
Production Companies: Constantin Films, Unique Features
Distributor: Sony Pictures, Screen Gems
Director: Harald Zwart [Twitter]
Producers: Robert Kulzer (Constantin Film), Michael Lynne (Unique Features), Robert Shaye (Unique Features), Don Carmody
Executive Producers: Martin Moszkowicz (Constantin Film), Dylan Sellers (Unique Features)
Lily Collins (Clary Fray) [IMDB] [Twitter] [Twitter 2]
Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace Wayland) [IMDB] [Twitter]
Robert Sheehan (Simon Lewis)
Jemima West (Isabelle Lightwood)
Kevin Durand (Pangborn)
Robert Maillet (Blackwell)
Line Producer: Hartley Gorenstein
Script: Jessica Postigo; I. Marlene King [Twitter]; Based On Novel By: Cassandra Clare [Twitter] [Tumblr]
Casting Director: Stephanie Corsalini [IMDB]
Production Design: François Séguin
First Assistant Director: Marty Eli Schwartz
Production Resources: Jonathan Matthews
Location Manager: Deborah Harpur
CLARY FRAY (Lily Collins) is an ordinary Brooklyn teenager until the night she meets the mysteriously tattooed JACE, who turns out to be a half-angel warrior known as a Shadowhunter. When Clary finds out her mother JOCELYN has been abducted, she desperately hopes Jace will be able to help. After a whirling golden portal transports her across time and space in a heartbeat, Clary realizes she too has the powers of the Shadowhunters. But can she harness them in time to save her mother?
Clary, Jace and their fellow Shadowhunters endure one breathtaking battle after another against vampire, warlocks and demons—only to discover Jocelyn hid a terrible secret from the fiercest warrior of all: VALENTINE. Cast out from the world of Shadowhunters, Valentine abducted Jocelyn believing she had a powerful tool known as the Mortal Cup. Using her newfound gifts, Clary finds the Cup, only to be brutally betrayed and forced to relinquish it.
Still reeling from this setback and racing to save Jocelyn before it’s too late, Clary finds herself caught in a battle between forces she barely understands. Based on the best-selling series by Cassandra Clare, THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES is a magnificent urban fantasy rich in detail and suspense, about a girl’s journey to the darkest corners of the underworld to save those she loves.
- 8/22/2009 – Cassandra Clare announced at a book signing in New York City that The Mortal Instruments would be adapted into a trilogy of films.
- 10/29/2009 – Jessica Postigo has been penned to adapt The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones to screenplay.
- 10/3/2010 – It was reported by Collider.com that Jessica Postigo had finished the script for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
- 9/30/2011 – Marlene King announced that she was penning a rewrite on The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones script.
- 10/1/2011 – It was reported by Hollywood Crush that I. Marlene King was nearing the end of the rewrite for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones script.
- 11/4/2011 – The official synopsis of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was revealed at the American Film Market.
- 11/17/2011 – Cassandra Clare revealed that Marlene King had turned in the rewritten script for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones for studio review.
- 10/4/2010 – Scott Stewart was confirmed as director for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones via press release from Screen Gems. This will be Stewart’s third film that he will have directed, previously directing Legion and Priest.
- 2/12/2012 – Cassandra Clare announced that Scott Stewart had been dropped from The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Sony Pictures back in Aug. 2011. There is no news on his replacement.
- 3/16/2013 – Constantin Film and Unique Pictures announced that Harald Zwart (Karate Kid) will direct The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
- 12/10/2010 – Screen Gems confirmed that Lily Collins has been cast as Clary Fray. Here’s Hollywood Crush’s report.
- 5/31/2011 – Screen Gems confirmed that Jamie Campbell Bower has been cast as Jace Wayland.
- 3/16/2012 – Constantin Film and Unique Pictures confirmed that Lily Collins, who was cast back in December 2010, will still be portraying Clary in the film.
- 6/19/2012 – Cassandra Clare revealed that Jemima West has been cast as Isabelle Lightwood.
- 7/6/2012 – Variety broke the news that Kevin Durand and Robert Maillet have been cast as Pangborn and Blackwell
- 7/11/2012 – Cassandra Clare revealed that Robert Sheehan has been cast as Simon Lewis
- 1/10/2011 – Lily Collins said in an interview with Hollywood Crush that they hope to begin filming in April.
- 3/17/2011 – Lily Collins revealed in an interview with the New York Times that The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones will film in Los Angeles.
- 4/6/2011 – Scott Stewart revealed in an interview with Collider.com that The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones will be shot in 3D and that filming is slated for late summer/early fall.
- 4/8/2011 – Scott Stewart revealed in an interview with to Hollywood Crush that they hope to film some of the movie in New York City.
- 5/11/2011 – Lily Collins confirmed that filming for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones will happen this year but that “it’s just pushed a little.”
- 8/8/2011 – Jamie Campbell Bower told Sci-Fi Magazine that filming for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is slated to begin in January 2012.
- 12/12/2011 – Cassandra Clare revealed that Sony Pictures wanted filming to begin on The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones in spring 2012.
- 2/13/2012 – Cassandra Clare said that Constantin Films wants to begin filming The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
in August 2012.
- 3/13/2012 – Cassandra Clare revealed that filming on The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones will begin on August 15, 2012.
- 3/16/2012 – The Hollywood Reporter reported that principal photography on The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones will begin on August 15, 2012, in Toronto.
- 4/3/2012 – ScreenRant revealed that Sony Pictures set the release date of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones for August 23, 2013.