AUGUST 31, 2010
Buy Clockwork Angel
Read an excerpt
The year is 1878. A killer stalks the dark streets of London, flaying his victims alive and removing their skin, leaving behind the stench of demonic witchcraft wherever he strikes. Seeking his identity, the Shadowhunters of the London Insitute find one clue: a membership badge for a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club. Some of London’s richest and most successful men are members. But which of them is the killer, and what is his ultimate goal?
Meanwhile, sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray’s search for her missing brother — once a member of the Pandemonium Club — leads her into Victorian-era London’s dangerous supernatural underworld, where vampires stalk the gaslit streets of London, werewolves slink in the shadowy lanes of Whitechapel, and warlocks hold masquerade balls for demons and Downworlders in opium-smoke-filled ballrooms. When Tessa discovers that she herself is a Downworlder, she must learn to trust her natural enemies, the demon-killing Shadowhunters, if she ever wants to learn to control her powers and find her brother. Torn between beautiful Will, a Shadowhunter hiding his true nature, and the devoted Jem, whose own deadly secret is slowly destroying him, Tessa must draw on all her strength to save her brother and keep herself alive in this deadly new world.
“Steampunk is hot, and Clare conquered it! Methodically researched, her Victorian London is dark and romantic, and the strong-willed Tessa is an unexpected hero readers will love. Her love interest, Will, is the bad boy only Tessa can understand, while the sweet Jem is a possibility, too. At completion, the reader has more questions than answers, but the clarity of writing and quick plot turns will ensure its popularity.”
- Winner of the 2011 YALSA Teens Top Ten Award!
- Winner of the 2011 Silver Inky Award!
- A #1 New York Time Bestseller
- A #1 Globe and Mail Bestseller
- A Wall Street Journal Bestseller
- A Los Angeles Times Bestseller
- A Publisher’s Weekly Bestseller
- A USA Today Bestseller
- An Indie Bound Bestseller
- A New Atlantic Independent Booksellers Association Bestseller
- A Southern Indie Bestseller List Bestseller
- Nominated for a Romantic Times Best YA Novel of 2010
- A 2011 Rita Award Finalist
- Selected for the Winter 2010-2011 Kids’ Indie Next List – Inspired Recommendations for Kids from Indie Booksellers!: “A fantastical world of werewolves, shape-changers and vampires.”
- Indigo Books Top 10 of 2010: Teen Fiction: “Clockwork Angel is fun, but more importantly: it’s well-written fun.”
- One of Barnes and Noble’s Top Ten Teen Books of 2010
- Nominated for Goodreads’ Favorite Book of 2010
- One of Kansas City Star’s Top 100 Books of 2010: “Fans of Clare’s Mortal Instruments series will enjoy this one in which Tessa Gray is kidnapped, learns she can transform into other people and is rescued by demon-slaying Shadowhunters as she learns more about the world she comes from and how to survive.”
- A VOYA Perfect Ten