Julian takes up the Mortal Sword in new ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet

You want a new snippet from City of Heavenly Fire? Of course you do.

Cassandra Clare treated fans to a new snippet from the final installment of The Mortal Instruments  as a Valentine’s Day treat. The snippet features Julian Blackthorne, a character that will appear in The Dark Artifices (coming March 2015).

COHF cover HQ“Julian,” said Jia, in the same gentle voice, “would you do something for us? Would you take up the Mortal Sword?”

Clary sat up straight. She had held the Mortal Sword: she had felt the weight of it. The cold, like hooks in your skin, dragging the truth out of you. You couldn’t lie holding the Mortal Sword, but the truth, even a truth you wanted to tell, was agony.

“They can’t,” she whispered. “He’s just a kid —“

“He’s the oldest of the kids who escaped the Institute,” Jace said under his breath. “They don’t have a choice.”

Julian nodded, his thin shoulders straight. “I’ll take it.”

Robert Lightwood passed behind the podium then and went to the table. He took up the sword and returned to stand in front of Julian. The contrast between them was almost funny: the big, barrel-chested man and the lanky, wild-haired boy.

Julian reached a hand up and took the sword. As his hand closed around the hilt, he shuddered, a ripple of pain that was quickly forced down. Emma, behind him, started forward, and Clary caught a glimpse of the look on her face — pure fury — before Helen caught at her and pulled her back.

Click here for more City of Heavenly Fire snippets.

City of Heavenly Fire will be released (not soon enough) on May 27.

About these ads

Comments

1. EEEEEHHHHHHH!! I missed getting snippets. And I absolutely love it.

2. Jessie's twin says:

OMG
    this is torture waiting for the book!!!
    Why is may so far away from febuary?!!
    NOT MUCH OF A SPOILER ALERT
    and I love all the character from the shadow hunter world, don’t get me wrong but still…
    I wish Julian didn’t smoke when his older and seeing that I already know PLEASE CASSY make him quit smoking.FOR EMMA!!!

3. Israel Leon says:

I hope Julian and Emma become parabatai in this scene.

4. Writergirl98 says:

May 27 the really can’t come fast enough. I nearly go into cardiac arrest every time I read or reread a snippet for this book.

5. This is nice, these are the kids from the new books right¿?

6. teamedwardjace says:

I cannot fucking wait for this novel and I know it’s going to be an emotional roller coaster . I can’t wait for the official title for tlh to be revealed

7. Ahhhhhh–what’s going on?!?!?! Escaped what institute?

8. What’s this about Julian smoking they never said anything about it in the snippet, and who escaped from the institute this is driving me crazy………

9. do you have any idea how frustrating it is to realize the the book is coming out during my freaking mid-year exams!!!!!

10. Where does cassandra clare release all this info like the barnes and noble thing?

11. ESCAPED THE INSTITUTE?
    WHAT IZ THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?
    O.O
    the wait.. oh the wait is killing me.

12. I guess that it is confirmed then that Robert Lightwood is the new Inquisitor. But shouldn’t a Silent Brother be the one to handle the Mortal Sword? That what happened in TID when they questioned someone. And how many kids escaped from which Institute? Did Sebastian set a Institute on fire or something? I am guessing that that is reason why his family is all wearing white (as stated in a previous snippet).

13. tmifanjulie says:

Ahhh!!!!!!! Need more Snippets!!!!!! Julian smoking……..that doesn’t sound right!!!!???? What does it mean when “He’s the oldest of the kids who escaped the Institute” ?? I CAN”T WAIT FOR THE 27th OF MAY!!!!!!!! COME QUICKER!!!!!!!!!

14. Julian escaping an Institute? Well that makes sense with other snippets. Like Magnus saying: They’re dead. They’re all dead. I guess something really bad happens to another Institute so the survivors will stay in New York maybe?!

15. I think the LA Institue will be attacked and the adults there killed and that’s how Emma and the other kids from TDA end up as orphans. That’s probably also how Emma gets the scar on her arm. I really hope Jem and Tessa will become the new leaders of the LA Institute.

16. Israel Leon says:

I see Robert Lightwood is in along with Idris as well.

17. Its such as you read mmy thoughts!You seem to grasp a lot about
    this, like yoou wrotye the ebook in it or something.
    I feel that you simnply could do with some percent to power the message houae a
    little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
    A fantastic read. I will certainnly be back.

Trackbacks