Last 2012 CLOCKWORK PRINCESS snippet: Jem and Tessa talk about Jem’s options

Clockwork Princess

The year is almost over and Cassie shared a final CLOCKWORK PRINCESS snippet as an ‘end of 2012 present’ on her Tumblr.

It is about Jem and Tessa and ‘SPOILERY’:

Tessa reached to brush the damp hair from his forehead. He leaned into her touch, his eyes closing. “Jem—have you ever—” She hesitated. “Have you ever thought of ways to prolong your life that are not a cure for the drug?”

At that his eyelids flew open. “What do you mean?”

She thought of Will, on the floor of the attic, choking on holy water. “Becoming a vampire. You would live forever—”

He scrambled upright against the pillows of the bed. “Tessa, no. Don’t—you can’t think that way.”

“Is the thought of becoming a Downworlder truly so horrible to you?”

“Tessa …” He exhaled slowly. “I am a Shadowhunter. Nephilim. Like my parents before me. It is the heritage I claim, just as I claim my mother’s heritage as part of myself. It does not mean I hate my father. But I honor the gift they gave me, the blood of the Angel, the trust placed in me, the vows I have taken. Nor, I think, would I make a very good vampire. [redacted for spoilers] I would no longer be Will’s parabatai, no longer be welcome in the Institute. No, Tessa. I would rather die and be reborn and see the sun again, than live to the end of the world without daylight.”

“A Silent Brother, then,” she said.

His eyes softened slightly. “The path of Silent Brotherhood is not open to me.”

What do you think, Shadowhunters? Does Jem have a chance to survive without his drug? Sound off in the comments!

Click here for all the snippets. Only 80 days left!

About Cathrin (688 Articles)
Writer for TMI Source and 'The Shadowhunter Chronicles' lover extraordinaire. Fangirls over books, history, German football, movies and fictional characters.

33 Comments on Last 2012 CLOCKWORK PRINCESS snippet: Jem and Tessa talk about Jem’s options

1. That’s it! Jem HAS to become a Silent Brother!!!!!He has, Brother Jeremiah said that there was a time he would do everything for two people. If it was Will, the brother would have said three. Cecily, Tessa and Jem!

Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:08:04 +0000 To: ocantinhodadidi@hotmail.com

2. I’d like to find out why “The path of the silent Brothers” is not open to him… Well, I’ll just have to wait for the book to came out!

3. Ria Jace Herondale // December 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM // Reply

😡 BTA WHAT IS GOING ON! I CAN’T EVEN THINK PROPERLY! ALL I CAN DO IS CRY!!!!!! Y MUST CASSIE TORTURE US SO MUCH?!?! (I don’t mind getting CP2 snippets, but its just SOOO painful to think about, because March is SOOO far away!)

I just want Will and Tessa to end up FOREVER, and Jem to NOT die (and live a happy life [duh]!)

4. Mrs. Carstairs // December 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM // Reply

Every time I see Jem and Tessa’s name I start to cry a little. I mean she might not get to be with him forever. I might just be till the end of the book!!! Maybe even sooner. (I hope not) 😦 Jem better find a cure before he d—. See I can’t even bring myself to type it!!

5. ☆Мyϵrα Iftikhαr ☆ // December 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM // Reply

Well that’s settled.My theory was right. Jem AND Will are going to become one.As in Silent Brother style.*sniff*sniff*Brother Zachariah
    Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:07:58 +0000
    To: myera87@hotmail.com

6. I was really thinking thatJem was Brother Zachariah. Now I am not so sure. I also know that Tessa is immortal as Magnus talks to her in one of the TMI books and Clary even sees her and thinks she looks familiar. This is another whole storyline to try and figure out. So many possibilities for Cassie to make us crazy in the final two books of both series.

7. What’s going on re: Jem’s father? Doesn’t hate him??? Something happened there…..and, did anyone think this was a conversation that happened between 2 people who were no longer engaged? Surely, Tessa knows Silent Brothers do not have wives…..do they?

• The comment about Mr Carstairs made me wonder, too, Cat 😉 Silent Brothers don’t have wives, Cassie once tweeted that they live a very insular life. They are like monks.

• depthsofthemind // December 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM // Reply

No Jem does not hate his father. if you reread CWA you learn that Jem is actually biracal: his mom was chinese and his dad was english. Way back in this time biracal wasn’t a word. You were called the culture of the parent you looked like, so since Jem looks like his mom he is chinese. I know nothing about Silent brothers lives, and i’m preety sure Tessa doesn’t either. I think she is beging to give up hope on a cure and is just desprete to keep Jem living.

8. Denise garcia // December 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM // Reply

My birthday is towards the end of feb, which im usually excited for, but this year im more excited for CP2 to come out!!:D I love this snippet! I live near los angeles california, so i plan on going to see Cassie at her book tour and buying the book!!! ABSOLUTELY! I’ll even ask for this to be my birthday present! Thank goodness i have my big bro who gives me everything:]!!

9. Am I the only person who picked up on the fact that, one; Jem’s hair was for some reason damp, and two; they were in bed? So if you put both these clues together…

10. opps I meant

11. Jem certainly has the calm temprement to become a silent brother, but I really dont think thats the answer. Knowing Cassie his death or salvation will come as a complete surprise. I couldnt stand it if Jem became a London vampire. Think of Camille’s delight. Ugh…

12. aw this is so heartbreaking! i’m wondering if they find a way to save him somehow(like a spell. i mean there’s emma carstairs unless jem has another sibling or something. i do hope will ends yup with tessa , jem is saved and he finds someone too(maybe it’ll be cecily)

13. What if Jem is Jace reborn?!

14. I feel so bad that I don’t ship Jem and Tessa. He’s such a sweet character but I’ve always been team Will.

15. “She thought of Will, on the floor of the attic, choking on holy water.”

IS WILL A VAMPIRE???? o.O

• Lyn C. Herondale // December 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM // Reply

no he is not. In clockwork angel Will bit a vampire and accidentally drank his blood. To prevent him from becoming a vampire himself they made him drink holy water which removes the vampire blood from his body.

16. Three more months…

17. Ria Jace Herondale // December 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM // Reply

I think maybe Jem is Brother Jeremiah or Brother Zachariah, because I found this website where it says “Jem” is also a nickname for “Jeremiah.” Also the way Brother Zachariah is described it seems like he could be Jem. But I could be wrong, Brother Jeremiah/Brother Zachariah COULD be someone else. IDK MAN, I’M JUST SOOOOOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!! 😡

18. Brother Zachariah is Jem. He has to be. Im 100% sure! The fifth book made it seem prettyyy obvious

• With Cassie nothing is obvious. Just when we think we have it figured out she changes it completely. Just a few more months and we can all breathe easier or cry harder. It is up to her. She holds our emotions in her hands.

19. There better be a cure! There has to be a chance jem doesn’t deserve it that’s what I hate about life and books the most incident character dies always

20. Well I can see that so far my:Jem dies and she winds up with Will or Jem sees that Will loves Tessa and gives her up dream has not happened yet….((felt kinda bad about it at first but thought about how Will and Tessa make a better couple and got over it)) but considering all the major romantic changes/swings that happened in TMI I can still hope *crosses fingers* -NO HATER COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ITS MY OPINION-

And wait this is the 6th book?I thought it was the 3rd! god my school library sucks i even thought ‘city of fallen angels’ was the last TMI and that she was going to do 4 TID books, leave us on a major cliff hanger like it seemed with TMI, and continue TMI and so on.I just found out about the ‘city of lost souls’ ((my friend bought the book before i started to read the series and when i thought back to it i thought the ‘city of lost souls’ cover was just another ‘city of fallen angels cover’)) if it was the last book though it would have been a horable ending for the series XD -you can judge ((i guess)) this-

• The Infernal Devices are 3 books, Clockwork Princess is the last one and will be released on March 19.
      The Mortal Instruments = 6 books. The fifth book ‘City of Lost Souls’ was released this May and the last book ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ will be released in spring 2014.

21. JEM YOU NEED TO BE A SEILENT BROTHER

I bet Cassie left us to throw us all offf GRRRRR

22. depthsofthemind // December 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM // Reply

I have 4 theories as to why he can not become one.
    1.) due to the binding part of the parabatai ritual shadow hunters who take parabatais cannot become silent brothers, or ealse there parabatai will be harmed in the process.

2.) We know from COB that silent brothers carve extremly powerful and dangerous runesonto themselves and that if you carve to many or to strong of runes onto someone before they’re ready they suffer. Jem is weak from his bad health so maybe the ritual could wind-up proving fatle to him.

3.) shadow hunters do not allow 17yrs. to become silent brothers or iorn sisters because they do not consider them mature enough to make that big of desisons for themselves.

4.) Becomeing one would mean spending eternity in silent city and that scares his to much- even jace is creeped out by that place.

At least 2 maybe three disclude Will as well, so Bor Z is still up for guesses.

23. What if why Jem can’t be a silent brother is because he is bound by parabatai to Will. And if he takes the runes to be a Silent Brother- it would make Will one to.

So Jem wouldn’t want to take away Will’s life.

But maybe Will does do it with Jem, and him/Jen/Tess are all kept apart forever 😦

24. BAM! Theres the cure. To become a Silent Brother. So James Carstairs is Brother Z. 🙂 He has to be. I dont want him to die. NO SIR.