MTV EXCLUSIVE: Meet THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS’ Magnus Bane

Photo: MTV News

Photo: MTV News

When MTV unveiled an exclusive first look at The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones last October, they promised more exclusives from the Toronto set. Cue Magnus Bane featurette. MTV debuted an exclusive first look at Godfrey Gao as the High Warlock of Brooklyn, Magnus Bane in the highly-anticipated film adaptation in theaters Aug. 23. 20130226-071230.jpg

WATCH THE VIDEO AT MTV.COM

WATCH THE VIDEO ON TUMBLR

Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane

Here’s a bit from the article:

“It’s really cold,” Godfrey said, all smiles. “At first, I was like, ‘All right, I thought this party was going to be an indoor mansion with a lot of lights and chandeliers like you see in back.’ Turns out, it’s outside, and it’s actually, I think, 11 degrees Celsius, so I’m just hanging out with my boxers on and everyone sees … I have great legs. But it’s very fun to play Magnus Bane, as you can see.”

(For reference, the temperature in Fahrenheit is just over 50 degrees.)

But the chill wasn’t Gao’s main concern. As he told our own Josh Horowitz, the actor understands the great responsibility he’s undertaken portraying the fan-favorite character from Cassandra Clare’s series about the secret world of the demon-destroying Shadowhunters.

“There’s actually a really big pressure because I know there are a lot of fans out there, and everyone loves Magnus Bane, and I love Magnus Bane,” he said. “So I just wanted to play a sort of cool-looking Magnus Bane, but I also wanted to bring out the flamboyant side. The party side of Magnus Bane, so hopefully everybody can enjoy what I bring to you on screen.”

And for those who can’t get enough of the warlock, Clare revealed that an extra Magnus scene was written into the screenplay that didn’t originally appear in the book.

“It is really cool,” Gao said of the bonus moment. “This whole ride has been amazing. I really got to thank everybody… This is my first English feature. I’m actually pretty nervous doing this interview now. I never do any interviews in English, it was always in Mandarin before.”

What did you think of the video? Thoughts on Godfrey Gao as Magnus? Sound off in the comments!

36 Comments on MTV EXCLUSIVE: Meet THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS’ Magnus Bane

1. The video isn’t available in the uk- help! Where can I watch it?!

I literally hate it when MTV does this oh my fucking god.

2. I can’t watch it either!
    Can I watch it somewhere else?
    Oh, I hate that I can’t watch anything… (I’m from Germany)

3. please someone upload to youtube.. I havent been on this site in a while but I have to say its looking good.. a lot more classier and professional 🙂 well done guys.!!

4. Chairman Meow // February 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM // Reply

Amazing featurette! I think I will enjoy Godfrey’s portrayal of Magnus. Im also exicted for Magnus’ extra scene. 1 question though….why was he in his boxers?

5. “Oh and please, try not to murder any of my guests” — How cool! :DD

6. I can watch it now 🙂
    I love Godfrey as Magnus. He’s perfect. I can’t wait to see him in the trailer – and the movie!
    Hurry up August!

7. This needs to be uploaded on Youtube because us that are in places like the UK, CAN’T EVEN WATCH IT!!! It sounds really funny but we can’t see it! Does anyone have a link to the video on another website or on Youtube, or knows someone that does? Please reply if you do, that would be VERY MUCH appreciated!!! 🙂

8. IrishShowhuntersAnonymous // February 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM // Reply

I am so ridiculously excited right now!! And you know what, its his party he can wear boxers if he wants to. Especially when he looks as good as that!

9. Hey,i have a page on facebook about Mortal Instruments and i need to trlanslate this video so can you please tell me what magnus says afer”Ok,shadowhunters I’ll let you stay but only because of the …….” ?Please help! 😀

10. 1) THis man is hot
    2) this man as Magnus is hotter
    3) MALEC FLIRTY LINE!!!!

11. This was soooooooo amazing, he says “I’ll let you stay but just because of the hottie” *_*

12. Wait…after watching it for the third time (First time I stared at his legs, second time I was fangirling over Malec) now I’m wonder what the extra scene not in the books is going to be.

13. In the process of uploading it to youtube. if no one else posts it before me I’ll post the link here.

14. Seriously, how many of us were flipping out because of the our first official Malec flirt moment? 😀

“I’ll let you stay, but only because of the hottie. I meant him, with the blues eyes.”

15. enjoy 🙂

16. I must have died, gone to heaven and came back to comfirm how sexy are his legs…and the rest of him. I am really interested in what is going to come out of all this. On the other hand, I am scare of the kind of fangirl I becoming…really.

17. High Warlock of St. Louis // February 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM // Reply

Godfrey Gao… YOU ARE HILARIOUS! A better Magnus than I could have ever hoped for! I am just so excited for the movie… I don’t even know what to do with myself!

18. OMFG,…MAGNUS BANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, IVE DIED AND GONE TO MAGNUS HEAVEN,…KYYYAAAHHHH, AND HIS SEXY LEGS,…KYYAAHHH….

Thank you MTV for making this happened, gosh Godfrey Gao ace that interview despite being super nervous about his first english interview on MTV, but he did really good, and he’s sooo cool and funny too, just perfect to me. ^^

19. KikiLOVESJace // February 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM // Reply

Godfrey Gao, YOU ARE MAGNUS BANE! I’m so happy that you are playing him. Never been more happier. As for saying those many lines. *Thumbs up!* Nice job! 😀

20. ☆Мyϵrα Iftikhαr ☆ // February 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM // Reply

OH MAAIII GAWWWDDDI JUSSTTT SAWWW A MALEC MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HE CALLED HIM A HOTTTIE AND AND JACE WAS ALL “THANKS” AND MAGS IS JUST LIKE “NOT YOU”HE POINTS AND HE’S LIKE “HIM, THE ONE WITH THE BLUE EYES”AND AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MALEC IS SOOO PERFECT!~!!!!!!!

WordPress.com

Alyssa Barbieri posted: ” Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane

Cue”

21. jace: mangus bane. we need to talk.

mangus: what you’re breaking up with me? we only just met.

haha love it. love godfrey as mangus and he looks good in eye liner!

22. Woohoo!!!1 It was great to see Magnus but I really loved hearing Jamie’s voice!!!! It’s so sexy and I love his accent! We need more of these little segments to keep us going until next August!!! Thanks MTV!

23. He really is very good looking. Im jealous of Alec. 😉 loved the shorts btw! Lol

24. Great idea from the director to let Godfrey play Magnus without pants. I think he should never put on his pants again 🙂
    I love Jamie’s voice!!!!

25. i just love the no pants thing
    i had a freak out (literally laughing and crying and screaming) when i saw that the “try not to murder any of my guests” line made it in

26. OMG Godfrey is a perfect<
    cant wait for the movie

27. Jennifer Herondale // April 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM // Reply

Cant wait for the movie!!!!

1. Sony Pictures, Constantin Film hard at work on first MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES trailer | TMI Source
  2. Another ‘MORTAL INSTRUMENTS’ set exclusive from MTV coming Monday | TMI Source
  3. MTV Set Exclusive: Meet Robert Sheehan as Simon Lewis in MORTAL INSTRUMENTS | TMI Source
  4. Watch: THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES international trailer debuts online | TMI Source