‘City of Heavenly Fire’ placeholder cover: ‘Who Will Survive?’

Cassandra Clare revealed the placeholder cover (temporary cover) for City of Heavenly Fire, the final installment of The Mortal Instruments, which will be released in May 2014. It features the tagline: “Who will survive?” Cassie also teased “an extra surprise printed on the inside cover!”

COHF placeholder

Today seems a good day to reveal the placeholder cover for City of Heavenly Fire! This is not the final cover, but since you’ll be seeing it all over, on amazon etc. until they reveal the final, might as well see it here first. I did not come up with the tagline, but I like it.

The final cover will of course not have words on it, but people. I cannot tell you which people. You will have to wait for the reveal. There is also an extra surprise printed on the inside cover! *dances*

How excited/nervous/anxious/terrified are you for City of Heavenly Fire? What do you think of the placeholder cover? And do you think that “extra surprise” inside the cover is? Sound off in the comments!

About Alyssa (2777 Articles)
Owner of TMI Source. Journalist and teacher by day, fangirl by night. Alyssa is too obsessed with sports, television, books, superheroes, and Shadowhunters for her own good.

47 Comments on ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ placeholder cover: ‘Who Will Survive?’

1. OH MY GOD IT’S AWESOME AND WAY BETTER THAN EVERYTHING I’VE IMAGINED!

2. Amazing!!!!! I’m sooo excited. There are moments when I don’t even care who dies(even if it was clary and jace). That’s how excited I am. I think Clary, Jace and Sebastian/Johnathan should be on the cover. All three. If not then put Magnus.

3. Excited, my book is on pre order just wish we didn’t have to wait until may

4. ”How excited/nervous/anxious/terrified are … ”
    A LOT.
    I think the cover’s great but they keep putting brown and yellow.. .. the design’s perfect though.
    ”extra surprise inside cover” question
    I have no idea.

5. “Excited/nervous/anxious/terrified” is the understatement of the century.

6. Does anyone know when they’ll reveal the actual cover?

7. Man I wish that book came out like now because I want to know what happens and I want to know who dies . My friend and I have been guessing who dies and this is what we think it’s going to be Alec because of that snippet but I don’t want Alec to die he’s one of my favorite characters

8. I see them I definitely see them – black angel wings aka Jonathan Morgenstern 😉

9. I am absolutely terrified…the second I finished CoLS I’ve been terrified

10. I think it might be brother zacharia/jem with Clary or tessa or clary and sebastian
    Or Tessa and jem who knows I’m just guessing I’m sooooooo excited :*)

11. So excited!!! I know she said Clary was going to be on the cover, and as much as I love the TMI characters, I would rather it be more about TMI. I think it’s going to have Sebastian with her.

12. TMI&TID&PLL4LIFE // September 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM // Reply

I think Clary and Sebastian or hopefully Clary and Izzy, because I really want Izzy on a cover and I want her and Clary to be Parabati

13. THOSE ARE FIRE WINGS OMFG! Sebastian is gonna bring the hell to New York im pretty sure of that….! what does she mean by surprise¿?

14. Lightwoodshadowhunterss // September 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM // Reply

I LOVE the placeholder! The fire rocks! I am so very excited and very
    scared at the same time! So cool that this happened cause my mom was re-reading them and said ‘OK, get me books 6′
    Me: Book 6 doesn’t come ’til next May…
    Mom: WHAT? Then what’s coming out in October?
    Me: *Sighs and explains*
    I really wonder what the surprise will be! My mind is tingling! 😉

15. teamedwardjace // September 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM // Reply

it’s amazing! perhaps thr fier repersents the heavenly fire from God, the angels and heaven and also jace’s fire?

16. teamedwardjace // September 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM // Reply

i’m excited, axnious, eager and nervous and scared and will be sad lol but i will love it and laugh too!

17. Well, I think that Clary and Jace have a gurenteed spot on the cover, if not Sebastian and Clary, which I think would probably fit since technically it’s their final battle (hopefully) so, it’ll be a Voldemort vs. Harry on the Deathly Hallows cover, maybe. The surprise could be so many things–the complete Family Tree(In fold out form), a portrait of all our favorite characters–both dead and alive–by Cassandra Jean in actual full color–with like a background and everything. Or maybe it could even be and alternate cover, like a cover with all the characters on it against the entire New York City backdrop, though this isn’t likely, still, we can always hope. I think it could also be some poster with a printed Cassie Signature on it. Oh the agony of waiting!

It’s also finally hitting me that this is it, the final Mortal Instruments book–I’m still looking forward to TDA–the real ending of this chapter in the world of the Shadowhunters. At least we might get to see Tessa and Jem, or at least Jem as Zachariah before 2008 arrives in the books. That’s one thing that has amazed me is the fact that Clare has actually stayed in 2007 for about 7 years now, it’s really amazing. May cannot get here any faster!

18. So damn excited about this! When I see the over I will just die, or get close lol

19. I think in the book Clary will create a rune that turns shadowhunters into full angels or can sum an angel’s help without the need of the mortal instruments.

• isnt that what tessa can do do you think tessa might command………..
      oh god maybe maybe but i heared that the rune clary might create is a flying rune (the one she thought of in city of bones when she and jace escaped the vampires from hotel dummort) ……… Oh god WHO KNOWS I CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!! :*)

20. What city is in the background?

21. Giulianna Rodriguez // September 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM // Reply

I’m for sure going to die when I finish reading it..

22. Why are we getting a placeholder and not the actual cover? We know the cover is already done, so why not just release that instead of this placeholder? Other books which will release next year already have their cover revealed. ‘The One’ by Kiera Cass will also release May 2014, and that one already revealed it’s cover..?!

23. The cover reveal must be 6 moths before the book release.

24. Oh god, I’m gonna cry so much.

25. Ohh………………My……………………..God one word is all i can say as i am speechless…………..Perfection!!!!

26. Emily Lightwood // September 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM // Reply

I am sooooo excited!

27. I AM SOOO PSYCHED!! CAN’T WAIT!!

(OH, and since I couldn’t contact you any other way, I’ll note here …I just wanted to let you know that we (I do web designs w/ Maramber Studios) have a new TMI design that I thought you might be interestd in.
    Inputted TMI site info so you see what it would look like. If you are interested please let me know as I have a few others possibly interested. 😀

The top image rotates through all the characters btw. :D)

28. daydreamer8183 // September 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM // Reply

who else thinks that if you stare at the cover long enough the shadow thing looks like 3 peple??

29. So awesome!!! I have to say that I’m anxious but at the same time kind of terrified and sad, I don’t want TMI to end! 😥

30. Yes I am VERY EXCITED, For City of Heavenly Fire!!! 🙂 I wish it was out NOW. I am very curious who will survive, and have feeling I won’t be happy who dies. But I know it will be an AMAZING book. I am curious what is on the in side cover too. I don’t want TNI to end, but all great things must. Plus then the Dark Artifices will be out next YAY!

31. Nobody’s going to survive when Cassie continues with her “six characters are going to die”… 😦

32. OMFG so exited .

33. I wonder if they will have other family trees??

34. Ok, so when exactly did the epilogue take place…. Before TMI or After because when Jem is no longer a silent brother he is no longer immortal either :0

35. You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write.
    The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe.
    All the time follow your heart.

1. Who Will Survive Placeholder for CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE | The Mortal Instruments Fandom
  2. ‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Heavenly Fire’ placeholder cover: “Who will survive?” : BiblioFiend
  3. Why they Live OR Die? : Maia & Jordan | TMI Source