New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: ‘Clary…meet Tessa Gray’

COHF placeholder

Today Cassandra Clare has shared another City of Heavenly Fire snippet and I think this definitely qualifies as an OMG! moment.

But see for yourself:

“Clary,” Jocelyn said. “I want you to meet Tessa Gray.”

Shadowhunters, what do you think? Sound off in the comments!

Click here to check out all the other snippets.

About Cathrin (483 Articles)
Writer for TMI Source and 'The Shadowhunter Chronicles' lover extraordinaire. Fangirls over books, history, German football, movies and fictional characters.

125 Comments on New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: ‘Clary…meet Tessa Gray’

1. Is this supposed to surprise us!? We already knew Tessa would be part if COHF

2. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!! TESSA IS GOING TO BE FOR SURE IN CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE!! AND JOCELYN KNOWS TESSA!!!!!!!

3. WHAT?!

4. OMFG!!!! This is actually happening!!!!! I knew tessa would be in COHF , I Love you Cassie

5. What?!

6. OMG!!!!!!! Awesome, i knew Tessa was gonna be in it!!!!

7. OMG!!! Clary is Meeting Tessa! And Why did Tessa have her Maiden name again? And not to Tessa Herondale?

• She married Jem after Will anyway (oops, spoiler!). Interesting that Jace is her direct descendant too.

• Wrong, she and Jem are not married yet, this will take place before the CP2 epilogue, or not long after it, meaning she won’t know Jem is normal again yet during this… or they will have just have met back up after he has changed back to normal.

• she’s probably using Gray because she doesnt any of the shadowhunters to connect the dots

• Don’t you think that would freak out Clary if she met another Hero dale that nobody except nanny’s and Jocelyn knew about. Plus she isn’t Magus to him anymore. They probably don’t know about her since she’s been gone from the shadowhunters for so long

8. Rachel Schmidt // October 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM // Reply

OOOOO Snap! 🙂 Two worlds will collide 🙂

9. SCREAMING HERE!!!!!! OMG INDEED!!! XD XD XD

10. OMG IM HIPERVENTILATING OMG OOMG OMMMGGG THIS IS JUST EVRYTHING I’VE DREAMT FOR IKHJGHJUIKHGJJAJ

11. WHHAAAAAAATTTTTT

12. SPOILERS

This book is going to be SO GREAT. We know that the TDA characters are going to be a big part of CoHF AND Jem gets cured and now we know FOR SURE that Tessa is going to be in it. It’s like the melting pot of all of the shadowhunter books. IM SO EXCITED.

• OMG its EXACTLY like a melting pot!!!! We got the TMI characters meeting the TID characters and the TDA characters its so awesome!!!! BUT also SIX BLEEPING PEOPLE DIE D:

13. teamedwardjace // October 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM // Reply

holy crap that’s awesome! i’n wondering if jace meets his great-great-great grandmother tessa lol who’s quite young looking lol

14. Gen O'Connel // October 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM // Reply

Screaming. Screaming. Screaming. Just…. I can’t! I don’t want to think about it and get anxious! Someone wipe my memory!!!!

• Okay does anyone else see this connection – in TID we found out that Tessa was Aloyisus Starkweather’s great granddaughter right?, and Tessa is also related to Jace because he’s a Herondale, so that would make Hodge and Jace super distantly related.
      Also, Alec obviously gets his black hair/blue eyes from Cecily since in TID she and Will are famous for that. So since Cecily was a Herondale and then she married a Lightwood, that would make Jace and Alec/Izzy distantly related too (besides that he’s already like their adopted brother).
      I think it is so weird to think that even though we found out that Clary and Jace aren’t really brother and sister, they are probably extremely distantly related somewhere.
      OMG I could sit here making connections between characters in TID and TMI all day!! Anyone else see any others?

• Yes! Henry and Charlotte’s kid, Matthew Fairchild, and Will and Tessa’s kid, James Herondale, Clary and Jace’s descendents, were parabatai.

15. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I’VE BEEN HERE WAITING, HOPING PRAYING THAT THESE TWO WILL MEET ONE DAY YES YES YES. I’m done with COHF and I don’t even get over CP2. GOD I LOVE THESE BOOKS

16. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG EEEEEK ADORE TESSA!!! I want COHF NOW!!!! Can’t wait until may

17. it would be so fun if jace sees tessa and is like “damn shes hot” and then BAM he learns she is his great-great-great grandmother lol

18. OMG..!!! That is super amazing..!!! Tessa and claryyy..!!!! Super great.! This is going to be an epic novel.!!

19. Reblogged this on YA on my Mind and commented:
    o.O

20. Cassie Clare did say that Tessa was in CoHF. Tessa was featured in other TMI books but the only character that spoke to her was Magnus. So this is BIG. Tessa has a bigger part in this than I thought. She knows Jocelyn… But how well? I wonder if Tessa helped Jocelyn in any way…? Like when she was apart of the circle? What’s amazing about Tessa is, she can be anyone. So how do we know that Tessa hasn’t been sneaking around in someone else’s place? Maybe, you know, to protect someone…? Gah! Funny how one sentence to make your mind work into overtime! This last book is going to be AMAZING.

21. What the f***!!!!!!!!!

22. OMFG. I AM SO HAPPY!!!

23. O
    M
    G

24. what if Jace totally hits on Tessa before he knows that she is his great great great grandmother?

25. Oh my god! YAYYAYAYAYYAAY!!!!

26. Bex Fairchild // October 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM // Reply

27. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! OMG, I’m like freaking out. I can’t even! Gah! I KNEW that Cassie was trolling us, in making it seem like the epilogue to CP happened after CoHF, and those two’s paths would never cross.

And we all knew Tessa was there during that one part of CoG. And also, I pretty much guessed that Tessa was the “warlock girl” who had been there, when Jem put the protections on Clary as a baby. That was obvious in CoLS, when Cassie began hinting that Magnus and Jocelyn had used to know each other well. And since we knew Magnus was still keeping in touch with Tessa…

Anyway, this is really exciting and I can’t wait to see what comes about:) I want Tessa to talk to Jace about his ancestors, and be all like, “You’re so much like Will.” I also want her to school Sebastian by being saying, “I’m half-shadowhunter/half-demon and you don’t see me acting like a psycho.”

So, so excited! Honestly, if Cassie didn’t take this opportunity, I would have been disappointed. It would have been such a waste, as writing TID was what inspired Cassie to continue TMI to begin with. I’m so glad Tessa’s clockwork angel in the Institute won’t be the last we see of her:)

I still wonder how her angel got there… And also, I wonder if Tessa’s talked to Jocelyn about the Herondales at all. I wonder if she would have been able to guess that Jace was a Herondale, if she hadn’t learned about Stephan and Celine’s story… probably not, since Magnus didn’t. But you never know.

Also, is Tessa behind the Pandemonium Club in TMI? I think I read that somewhere, but I’m not sure…

• I don’t think she’ll tell that much about herself, because that would spoil CP2. Remember, Cassie said the TMI and TID series could be read seperate from each other ;).

28. This is awesome news ! I mean we all hoped that we would be seeing Tessa again but now we know for certain. I can’t wait for the moment she meets Jace for the first time and realises how like Will he is. Its going to be so heartbreaking….

29. Sophie Lightwood // October 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM // Reply

YESSSSSS!!! IM SOOOOO EXCITED FOR COHF! CAN’T….WAIT…MUCH………..LONGER!!!

30. i havent read TID so i dont know what the fuzz is about

31. BY THE ANGEL

32. Lightwoodshadowhunterss // October 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM // Reply

YAY! THERE MIGHT BE A BIT OF JESSA IN THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!
    So here’s my theory, I think that Tessa is the female warlock who helped with Clary’s protection spell. Proof: In CoG, when Clary saw Tessa, she thought she looked familiar, but she could’t place her finger on it. Also the fact that Tessa is the only female warlock who is half Shadowhunter and she knows Magnus. Cassie also said that there is a reason that Clary and Tessa’s last names are similar.
    I CAN’T FREAKING WAIT UNTIL THIS BOOK! IT WILL DESTROY ME AND MAKE ME FEEL WONDERFUL!!!!!!

33. YESSSS!! I CANT WAIT! OMGGGGGGG! But remember Jocelyn already knew Tessa (I think) because in CoLS Jocelyn was talking to clary about that ritual that’s done to all shadowhunters when they are babys. Jocelyn told her that brother Zachariah (Jem) and a FEMALE WARLOCK was present for Clarys ritual/ceremony

34. By the Angel, i can’t wait any longer till May 2014 I mea really is freaking killing me inside

35. OMG! I am so happy Tessa’s gonna be in CoHF! I can’t wait for this book to come out. Ugh, why can’t May be here already?!

36. KikiLOVESJace // October 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM // Reply

OMG! The moment has arrived!

37. BY THE ANGEL!! Can’t breath!! They are finally meeting!!

38. AAAAHHHH!!!!!! *FAN GIRLING HARD CORE*

39. jessRosales // October 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM // Reply

oh holy chickens….

40. Oh my gosh . . . I got total chills as I read this. Just one line, but wow. Something so powerful about it, and Jocelyn’s introducing Tessa to Clary? Cool connection; I wonder how it will all play out!

41. OMG! What if Tessa says that she new all of their great great great grandparents. Awh memories. TLH needs to get here like now. But that is a few years away. It amazes me that there are still three series’ after this that’ll be who knows how long each.

42. One word: YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!! I love tessa and im so glad she made in into CoHF. The big finale is gonna sum it all up 🙂

43. OMG!!!! SO EXCITED!!! I WANT JACE TO MEET HER TOO!!!

44. Anna Herondale // October 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM // Reply

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    and to think, Jace is one of her descendants!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

45. Mrs. Herondale // October 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM // Reply

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s getting interesting….

46. 0.o I just died.

47. Shadowhunters look better in black. // October 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM // Reply

Just by hearing Tessa Gray’s name, I get so freakin charged up. I get unbelievably excited and anxious. I can’t wait to read about what happens and what Tessa is gonna be doing inthe book. Especially with Jem. (a.k.a. James Carstairs.)

48. It doesn’t make sense. Jem presumably meets Tessa on Blackfriars Bridge AFTER the events of COHF (in 2008, according to CP2), and I’m just paraphrasing here, but Jem says that the Shadowhunter World has undergone a lot of changes while she’s been away, and he’s going to need more than a few hours to tell her “another story of Lightwoods, Herondales and Fairchilds.”

• Maybe he goes to meet her and bring her to NY. And Jocelyn introduces her.

• But Jem meets her AFTER COHF, since the events of TMI occur in 2007, and Jem meets her again in 2008. Tessa notes that he’s not a Silent Brother anymore in surprise. Wouldn’t that mean she’d never seen him the past year or so? Which means she doesn’t know about the “changes” that has happened after the defeat of Sebastian or whatever happens at the end.

49. This is what I wanted to see the most in the whole book! So glad it’s in there! I love Tessa, and I’m curious to see what she thinks of Clary.

50. Isn’t there a book called the gray book of spells? Tessa Gray’s spells?

51. No Will in COHF -_-

52. Extreme fangirling!!! OMG why ca’t this book come faster?!?! Wait… guys what of tessa is one of the 6 people we know by name that are going to die?!?! OMG THAT CAN’T HAPPEN!!! Panicing aside it’s so cool to have clary meet tessa!!! Hopefully tessa is the warlock that was in that ritual when clary was a baby.

53. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i knew she would be in the last book

54. Rowena Drake // October 2, 2013 at 7:19 AM // Reply

I never believed that would happen, but it happened! (or rather, will happen).

55. Well isn’t Tessa distantly related to Jocelyn????

56. CAN’T… BREATHE… *choking on my breath*

57. Wots a bet that clary has something to do with jem turning back to a human i dont no if im far fetching but it could be a rune she puts on him or something i dont no taking a wild guess 🙂

58. Arrrggghhhh its offical our two amazing series are offically about to entwine and come together FINALLY:’) ekkkk………………just thought imagine if clary and tessa wind up not liking each other, UH OH! Ahah it will probs be down to a herondale (jace) 😉 to bring them together heheh:D

59. I think:
    “OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!” I always imagined how it ould by when Clary meets my favorite character. And Jem will be healed, but he won´t met Tessa in that year … I can´t wait!!!!!

60. I was so excited when I read this but now I’m confused. In CP Jem clearly tells Tessa that he will tell her the story of other Lightwoods, Herondales, and Fairchild’s. So clearly Tessa is not a part of it. Maybe Clary is meeting her after everything is over?

61. AnIrishShadowhunter // October 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM // Reply

OH GOD FANGIRL MOMENT

62. Waitingformaytocome! // October 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM // Reply

YES, YES, YES, IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!! I couldn’t wait for it to come, I knew it was going to happen but there’s a thing I don’t understand: in CP Jem talks about a story of Ligtwoods, Herondales and Fairchilds, we all know that and since Clary and Tessa are going to met each other, wouldn’t that mean that what happened in CP would take place before CoHF? Also, if you think about, wouldn’t that explanation make the most sense? Because Isabelle talked in a snippet about brother Zachariah being hot, so that would mean that possibly Jem told Tessa about all the stuff happening in TMI and she going with him to help, no? ARGH I’M SO CONFUSED!!! CAN’T WAIT UNTIL MAY (or later, since i’m spanish…!

63. Omg. My heart stopped. I’m so excited and scared (because of all the hinted. deaths) of city of heavenly fire.

64. Ria Jace Herondale // October 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM // Reply

*(Spoiler)*
    I swear the next line better be, “Actually, it’s Tessa Herondale.”

65. Israel Leon // October 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM // Reply

I think Jocelyn knows Tessa because of Magnus. Plus, Clary briefly saw Tessa talking to Magnus in City of Glass.

66. I bet Jem gets cured by someone placing or touching heavenly fire in him. Yeah! Tessa and Clary meet.

67. I’ve been waiting for that moment for a while

68. Can someone call my mother because this snippet just made my heart explode and I cannot reach the nearest phone….lol fangirl down!! XD XD

69. Aaaahhhhhh!!!!! I’m fangirling, and I love it! Join me ladies! Aaaaahhhhhh…..

I’m freaking out. My favorite series are meeting head on. Oh no! I hope Tessa doesn’t get killed in some battle just as Jem came back. Oh, the tragedy would end me.

70. That means jocelyn knows tessa. By the angel tmi And tid together. This proves it all. Tessa might be from Clare’s lost memories. Tessa, Magnus, Jem but oh will. Ahhhhhhhhh pls hurry with the book I’m dying here

71. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh holy freakin by the angel fan girl moment.

72. Oh god… oh god two of my favorite heroines in YA fiction??? MEETING????

73. How many times have I said this was gonna happen in a discussion on Goodreads?!?!?!?!

74. asdfghjkl

75. OMGGGG THAT IS SOO AWESOME I CAN’T WAIT THAT MEANS TESSA WILL MEET JACE ONE OF HER GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDCHILDREN if only Will could be there BUT I CAN’T WAIT I AM SHAKING FROM EXCITEMENT

76. Can Tessa please just say to Clary “Yeah so I’m your boyfriend’s great great great great great grandmother, no biggie.” can this be a thing please

77. asdfghjkl

78. Who is Tessa????????????? 😦 Was she in TMI??????????????????

79. O shit!!!! I’m so HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yea!!!!!!!

80. Maggie Richards // October 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM // Reply

Does anyone think that Tessa is most likely the female warlock that helped Magnus (and I’m guessing Jem/Brother Zaccharia) with the protection ceremony all young Shadowhunters get? Jocelyn says it was preformed by Magnus and a female warlock who took the place of the Iron Sister in book 5.

81. OMG!! I’m soooooooo excited!!

82. AylinHerondale // January 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM // Reply

OMG OMG OMG OMG.
    I cant wait.
    What shes going to do when she meets Jace?
    Gimmie that damn book!

83. Tessa is the unnamed female warlock that takes place of the iron sisters role in clary’s marks as a child.

84. so if Tessa is going to be in City of Heavenly Fire then that means she’s also going to be in the movie when it comes out. OMG.

85. Jem is also going to be in City of Heavenly Fire because.

“Okayyyyy,” Isabelle said in a low voice, “When did Brother Zachariah get hot?”

86. A parabatai. Like he was. And Jace knew, too, what that faded rune meant: a parabatai whose other half was dead. He felt his sympathy leap toward Brother Zachariah, as he imagined himself without Alec, with only that faded rune to remind him where once he had been bonded to someone who knew all the best and worst parts of his soul.

87. jimmy neutron // April 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM // Reply

Tessa has already met clary though, when she was a baby, she took the place of an iron sister when performing the shadowhunter children’s ritual

88. Crystal Love // May 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM // Reply

Guys… I have a horrible feeling that either Simon or Isabelle is gonna die. Maybe even Maia or Jordan. I am pretty sure Tessa and Jen survive, and jace and clary. But I’m worried for everyone else. She is gonna kill SIX people, and I don’t know how much Cassie is like JKR or uncle Rick or Veronica Roth, but I am sure that she will separate at least ONE of the couples, maybe even jocelyn and luke. And I feel that either maryse or Robert lightwood is gonna die too. Just cant wait. 😦
    DX