New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: Magnus’ father

COHF placeholder

Today Cassandra Clare shared another City of Heavenly Fire snippet and this time it’s special torture because of two reasons:

The way Magnus’ breath had sounded, rattling in his chest, before he’d said his father’s name.

ARGH! What is wrong with Magnus and who else cannot wait to find out his father’s name? Sound off in the comments!

About Cathrin (504 Articles)
Writer for TMI Source and 'The Shadowhunter Chronicles' lover extraordinaire. Fangirls over books, history, German football, movies and fictional characters.

54 Comments on New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: Magnus’ father

1. Tatiana Grimm // October 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM // Reply

By the Angel! Why?!?!?! THE FEELS

2. J Herondale // October 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM // Reply

I cant wait! I wanna know the name of Magnus’ father, NOW!

3. I just wanna make sure he doesn’t die… :C

4. Cassie, leave Magnus alone! :S

5. Shadowhunters look better in black. // October 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM // Reply

Uuuggghhh I want to know sooooooo badky !!! I’m am unbelievably anxious right now!!!

6. omg i thought that said magnus as father and i thought someone was giving birth or something but thank god its not that omgg

7. MAGNUS! Please be okay my sweet warlock!!!! *Relaxes*
    *SPOILERY A BIT IF HAVEN’T CAUGHT UP WITH THE BOOKS AND BANE CHRONICLES!*
    That aside I really want to know who his dad is, we know he is a powerful demon because of things stated in both the books, and in “The Rise of Hotel Dumort”, and we also know Cassie normally bases them after real demons in mythologies and religious texts… both of which I study in my free time because of my natural curiosity for all of earths cultures…. And it is DRIVING ME NUTS that I can’t figure it out…. Though for some reason I think it’s going to be one of the 7 demons that represent the seven sins. (This following list copied from Wikipedia since I sometimes confuse which goes to which sin)
    Lucifer: pride (superbia)
    Mammon: greed (avaritia)
    Asmodeus: lust (luxuria)
    Leviathan: envy (invidia)
    Beelzebub: gluttony (gula or gullia)
    Amon or Satan: wrath (ira)
    Belphegor: sloth (acedia)

I could go into a LONG detailed list of why some of these make sense, I’m definitely not saying Magnus is a representation of any of these ofcourse, since every character, just like every person in reality expresses traits of these. However! Magnus is known for his beauty, his partying, and his love of more…physical contact… so I am leaning towards if it is someone from this list, it being Lucifer or Asmodeus. And I am pretty sure it is not Mammon, as it’s stated he doesn’t’ care to much for how much money he has. Asmodeus makes the most sense to personally… However… in several relgions, including Judaism and Christianty, which a lot of the demon and angel lore comes from… Lucifer is a fallen angel…. and when ever I remember that when studying on Magnus’ father…. I remember the witch light….

8. Totally think it’s Lucifer… And I bet he manages to conjure him out of hiding to perform some kind of task…

9. i am currently in the middle of my digital designing class and as soon as i read this, i just cried out a random noise and my friend and teacher just gave me a cheeped out look.. QAQ CASSIE~!!!!!!! WHY?!

10. This is torture at this rate will already know half the story by now

11. **SPOILERS**
    Doesn’t Alec ask Camille in CoLS if it’s Lucifer or not? And she’s laughs at him or something? Lucifer isn’t the only fallen angel who’s now a price of hell, Azazel was an angel too, and cast down after he introduced weapons to humans.

• I was thinking of Azazel as well, but for some reason my mind is stuck on the seven deadly. But that would be a very interesting twist.

12. it`s a greater demon that`s whyhe doesnt like to talk about him! cant wait to find out! im betting on Lucifer himself!

13. Honestly, that would be insanely cool if it was Lucifer.

14. teamedwardjace // October 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM // Reply

duh duh, wow that would be something if mangus was the spawn of lucifer, but i don’t think he is 🙂

15. God, I am so sure that Cassie is gonna take our dear Magnus away from us in this book.

16. Oh no what’s wrong with Magnus!!? Please Please Please Cassie don’t kill off Magnus!
    I don’t think Magnus father is Lucifer, I really like the theory of Azazel though that would be interesting.

17. I reckon its going to be something completely mind-blowing…like Jonathan Shadowhunter.

18. It would have to be a really powerful demon I think. Not just a Greater Demon,but like an extremely powerful Greater Demon. I mean, when Magnus threatened Azazel to leave him alone and to leave the apartment in CoLS, he mentions his father. I mean, who has the power to tell the Prince of Hell what to do and scares Azazel other than Lucifer?

19. I’ve been wanting to know who Magnus’s father was ever since Cassie introduced that

20. Bex Fairchild // October 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM // Reply

You are killing me Cassie!!!

21. WHY? It just makes us want to read it even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. who is it!!!!!!!!!!

23. sheilathethongbarbarino // October 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM // Reply

CASSIE!!!! I think he is going to see him again!

24. No, no , no and ….no….. as much as I’d love to know who Magnus’s dad is, and if he is…*doesn’t want to finish sentence* ….Alec should be the name spoken upon his lips T_T Oh Cassie </3

25. In CoLS when magnus breaks up with alec, alec drops his witchlight magnus picks it up it glows rainbow colours. No one can make the witchlight glow unless they have angel blood in them.Thats why i think his father is a fallen angel such as lucifer, it would explain why he is more powerful than most warlocks and why he can make the witchlight glow. HIS FATHER USE TO BE AN ANGEL AND THEN BECAME A DEMON.

26. what if tessa and jem got together and had a son who had a son who is MAgus’ father!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. There is no way that could happen. warlocks are born from a demon and human not warlock and shadowhunter. Didn’t u read a thing i wrote.

28. OMG I CAN’T TAKE THIS!

29. Sdgwg heronstairs // October 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM // Reply

Isn’t Magnus’s father some kind of Greater demon ?! *~*

30. In one of the books it says magnus’s father is one of the 7 Princes of hell. Sounds a lot like the seven demons that represent the 7 sins.

31. fishesforlove // October 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM // Reply

it’s lucifer. it has to be. who else would it be when thinking of all the facts about magnus and whats happened in the books. omg im so freakin excited!!!

32. thank u #fishesforlove someone that has brains!!!

33. found this researching!!!Peter Binsfeld prepared a classification of demons in 1589. His demon classification was based on the seven deadly sins, establishing that each one of the mentioned Seven princes of Hell tempted people by means of one of those sins.
    Lucifer: pride
    Mammon: greed
    Asmodeus: lust
    Leviathan: envy
    Beelzebub: gluttony
    Satan: wrath
    Belphegor: sloth[4]
    These people have already been mentioned by #Kayla above but what she didn’t have is that the 7 demons that represent the 7 sins are also known as the 7 princes of hell which i have already mentioned. Cassie does say in the books Magnus’s dad is one of 7 princes of hell.Lucifer anyone.Francis Barrett, in his book The magus (1801), offered this classification of demons, making them princes of some evil attitude, person or thing:

Satan: witches and warlocks
    Lucifer was an angel then became satan.

34. Lucifer in May. makes sense!!

35. what i ment is lucifer is most powerful.

36. In may!!!

37. did anyone know that lucifer means morning star and so does morganstern!!!!!!!!!!! WTF

• Isn’t that mentioned in one of the books and it would explain magnus being put as May. Oh and morgenstern* 🙂 you are very excited that was a lot of !

38. Gabrielle Cecily Herondale // October 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM // Reply

Up until now, I really wanted to know who Magnus’ dad was. But as long as there’s nothing wrong with him, or he doesn’t die, then I will be perfectly fine with not knowing!

39. I don’t care who his father is.i just don’t want him to die.i couldnt possibly bear it.

40. this is too much. Magnus can’t possibly die.

41. Seeker of Knowledge // April 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM // Reply

In the shadow hunters codex there is 7 greater demons listed one of them being Sammael who is the one who can open veils and portal from void to human world so who would other demons respect the one who made it to where they could enter the human world maybe?

42. does she want to kill her fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1