New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: ‘You needed me’

COHF placeholder

Cassandra Clare has finished writing the last installment of The Mortal InstrumentsCity of Heavenly Fire – and today she shared another snippet on her tumblr:

Alec pulled his knees up to his chest and looked thoughtfully at Jace. “I know,” he said. “I’m not jealous. I always knew, from the first, that everyone thought you were better than me. My dad thought it. The Clave thought it. Izzy and Max looked up to you as the great warrior they wanted to be like. But the day you asked me to be your parabatai, I knew you meant that you trusted me enough to ask me to help you. You were telling me that you weren’t this lone and self-sufficient warrior able to do everything alone. You needed me. So I realized that there was one person who didn’t assume you were better than me. You.”

What do you think of Alec and Jace’s parabatai relationship? Sound off in the comments.

Click here for all the City of Heavenly Fire snippets.

About Cathrin (504 Articles)
Writer for TMI Source and 'The Shadowhunter Chronicles' lover extraordinaire. Fangirls over books, history, German football, movies and fictional characters.

49 Comments on New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: ‘You needed me’

1. Wate I donot get that last line is he a
    Saying jace thinks Alec is better than him or what

• It means Jace views Alec as an equal. If he thought he was better than Alec he wouldn’t have asked him to be his parabatai and wouldd’t trust him to have his back

2. Love this new snippet, I ship their parabati relationship so hard!! ❤ This was beautiful!

3. Mrs. Herondale // October 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM // Reply

Everyone is going to think I have mental problems after this (well actually I think I do have mental problems..) but anyway.. I TITANIC THEIR PARABATAI RELATIONSHIP!!!

4. Esther Chevalier // October 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM // Reply

…Alec sweetheart! I’m telling you right now this snippet only furthered my love for the relationship Jace and Alec share. I love them so much and I admire the friendship and love share.

5. mrs.carstairs // October 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM // Reply

this is so cute I feel like some people may forget the strong relationship Alec and jace have as best friends and brothers but I feel like this is one of the most important relationships in the entire series and I love seeing their interactions

6. Okay that just made me cry. This is a such a sweet scene that needed to be done. ❤

7. Why does Alec say this? What is happening that he is being so
    honest? Please… I need to read this book!

8. i love this, i love that Alec is being so honest but i would also love to know what lead up to this scene and even what Jace says in response better yet just let me read the whole book.

9. Anna Herondale // October 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM // Reply

omg I LOVE IT

10. AnIrishShadowhunter // October 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM // Reply

Yes! I’m really excited to see the ins and outs of Jace’s and Alec’s relationship in more detail.

Also, just… aww.

11. Unfortunately, there isn’t enough of Alec and Jace parabatai relationship in books. Perhaps it’ll be more in the last book. I also have an impression that Jace doesn’t care about Alec as much as Alec care about Jace. And I don’t think Jace is better than Alec, they are just different. I wonder what Jace will say in response.

12. I…. don’t care actually xD all the other were just epic and scary and important but this one is just blahh Dx

13. I do not ship Alec and Jace as a couple for I think he belongs with Clary but it is nice to see them getting along and talking after everything that happened in the past 5 books about there relationship as parabatai’s.

• Lydia Herondale // October 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM // Reply

Just because you don’t ship them as a couple (which almost nobody does) doesn’t mean you can’t appreciate the relationship the have. Not enough people recognise the non-romance relationships in these books – and they can be just as strong.

14. Rowena Drake // October 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM // Reply

I think Jace wants to do something on his own, and Alec reminds him that he need him, Alec. Or Alec reminds Jace their bond, one is never alone as long as he have the other, sweet bromance, etc

15. Sheila (the thong) Barbarino (Rita) // October 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM // Reply

YES YES YES YEP THIS IS PERFECT

16. I want Clary and Isabelle to be Parabati

• cassie said that they’ve only known each other for a couple of months…. also, i don’t think they have good character chemistry, they’re very different so might not have a strong parabatai bond if they go ahead with it.

17. Aww, so sweet:) their relationship is awesome:)

18. their relationship as Parabatai is one of a kind they protect each other and Jace has always looked at Alec like an Equal eventho Alec though of himself as a second best Jace Didnt and that`s why their friendship is real!… i wanna read so bad what Jace is going to respond!

19. teamedwardjace // October 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM // Reply

I love it! Can’t wait

20. Awe<3 this is so cute x3 Jalec!

21. Hey gang you’ll never believe what I got as late birthday gifts.
    First my older sister got me a small little box with mortal instrument merchandise including rune tattoos and the rune necklace.
    Oh and my mother ordered me the dvd too god love her. Ah my family knows me to well 🙂

22. Lightwoodshadowhunterss // October 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM // Reply

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I love Jace and Alec’s relationship!

23. Erfita Pohan // October 21, 2013 at 5:41 AM // Reply

I really luv the way their parabatai relationship. It is strong n deep …

24. nevertrustaduck! // October 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM // Reply

so ecxited

25. nevertrustaduck! // October 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM // Reply

wait they were talking about izzy in pastence what she might be dead

• No no, it is in the past tense because it happened in the past. I am not sure Izzy still looks up to Jace now, when she herself became a great warrior too as she grown up. I mean, I think Izzy loves Jace like a brother now, and an equal because Jace has always approved her skills.

26. wait…. dad,clave,Izzy, MAX? IS IZZY, RoBERT dead??????????????????!!!!!!!!!

• Jeez… No, no, NO. Lets not hope that. Its probably just because that They’re talking about something that happened in the past. Makes more sende to me, after all.

27. Am I the only one that realises that it says ‘izzy and max looked up to you’ LOOKED WHAT THE HELL!!!!

• fishesforlove // October 29, 2013 at 4:32 AM // Reply

dont worry! i think it was just talking about the past when max was alive! izzy isnt dead and i hope she doesnt die oh god now im freaking

• Jeez… No, no, NO. Dont Think that kind of stuff, Its not healthy. Its probably just because that They’re talking about something that happened in the past. Makes more sense to me, after all.

28. Awwwwww

29. Aww heartbreaking.

30. <3<3<3<3 omg awesome 🙂

31. Somebody hand me a book or tell me what happens in City Of Heavenly Fire!(That is my motto intil I get to read this COHF.)

32. Alec and Jace brother bonding.

33. Aww so sweet! 🙂

34. fishesforlove // October 29, 2013 at 4:35 AM // Reply

beautiful! i always wanted their parabatai relationship to be talked about more in the books especially when jace was with the evil mofo that killed max–i refuse to say his name–and just this little bit makes me happy 🙂

35. I like that Cassie is focusing more on Jace and Alec’s parabatai bond bcuz it was such a big deal between Jem and Will in TID and I feel like Jace and Alec’s connection isn’t that strong.