Cassandra Clare shares Christmas ‘CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE’ snippet

Merry belated Christmas, Shadowhunters from your friends at TMI Source.

To celebrate the holiday, Cassandra Clare shared a special Christmas City of Heavenly Fire snippet which features Clary and Simon going Christmas shopping. The last book in The Mortal Instruments series will be released on May 27, 2014.

The Frays had never been a religiously observant family, but Clary loved Fifth Avenue at Christmas time. The air smelled like sweet roasted chestnuts, and the window displays sparkled with silver and blue, green and red. This year there were fat round crystal snowflakes attached to each lamppost, sending back the winter sunlight in shafts of gold[B1] . Not to mention the huge tree at Rockefeller Center. It threw its shadow across them as she and Simon draped themselves over the gate at the side of the skating rink, watching tourists fall down as they tried to navigate the ice.

Clary had a hot chocolate wrapped in her hands, the warmth spreading through her body. She felt almost normal—this, coming to Fifth to see the window displays and the tree, had been a winter tradition for her and Simon for as long as she could remember.

“Feels like old times, doesn’t it?” he said, echoing her thoughts as he propped his chin on his folded arms.

She chanced a sideways look at him. He was wearing a black topcoat and scarf that emphasized the winter pallor of his skin. His eyes were shadowed, indicating that he hadn’t fed on blood recently. He looked like what he was—a hungry, tired vampire.

Well, she thought. Almost like old times. “More people to buy presents for,” she said. “Plus, the always traumatic what-to-buy-someone-for-the-first-Christmas-after-you’ve-started-dating question.”

“What to get the Shadowhunter who has everything,” Simon said with a grin.

“Jace mostly likes weapons,” Clary sighed. “He likes books, but they have a huge library at the Institute. He likes classical music …” She brightened. Simon was a musician; even though his band was terrible, and was always changing their name—currently they were Lethal Soufflé—he did have training. “What would you give someone who likes to play the piano?”

“A piano.”

Simon.”

“A really huge metronome that could also double as a weapon?”

Clary sighed, exasperated.

“Sheet music. Rachmaninoff is tough stuff, but he likes a challenge.”

“Now you’re talking. I’m going to see if there’s a music store around here.” Clary, done with her hot chocolate, tossed the cup into a nearby trash can and pulled her phone out. “What about you? What are you giving Isabelle?”

“I have absolutely no idea,” Simon said. They had started heading toward the avenue, where a steady stream of pedestrians gawking at the windows clogged the streets.

“Oh, come on. Isabelle’s easy.”

“That’s my girlfriend you’re talking about.” Simon’s brows drew together. “I think. I’m not sure. We haven’t discussed it. The relationship, I mean.”

“You really have to DTR, Simon.”

“What?”

“Define the relationship. What it is, where it’s going. Are you boyfriend and girlfriend, just having fun, ‘it’s complicated,’ or what? When’s she going to tell her parents? Are you allowed to see other people?”

Simon blanched. “What? Seriously?”

“Seriously. In the meantime—perfume!” Clary grabbed Simon by the back of his coat and hauled him into a cosmetics store that had once been a bank. It was massive on the inside, with rows of gleaming bottles everywhere. “And something unusual,” she said, heading for the fragrance area. “Isabelle isn’t going to want to smell like everyone else. She’s going to want to smell like figs, or vetiver, or—”

“Figs? Figs have a smell?” Simon looked horrified; Clary was about to laugh at him when her phone buzzed. It was her mother.

where are you? It’s an emergency.

What do you think of this snippet? Sound off in the comments.

Catch up on all the latest City of Heavenly Fire snippets.

About Cathrin (497 Articles)
Writer for TMI Source and 'The Shadowhunter Chronicles' lover extraordinaire. Fangirls over books, history, German football, movies and fictional characters.

38 Comments on Cassandra Clare shares Christmas ‘CITY OF HEAVENLY FIRE’ snippet

1. Haha, Bane Chronicles reference!:))

2. Uh-oh *dramatic music* what’s the emergency?!?!

3. This has just made me more inpatient for the book!! 😜

4. One of the best christmas presents!!!! Thankyou cassie:D!!!!

5. So Simon and Isabelle are finally a couple in Heavenly Fire.

6. Wow this really hits home for me it as if I am living my own personal memories in these characters of my childhood whenever i go to the city during the christmas holidays even as an adult I still love doing it even though the crowds gets worse every year but hey who cares anything that takes me on a walk down memory lane. And yet through this beautiful paragraph you can sense that there is still something unsettling and a little meloncholy and yet ever so poignant all at the same time. i love it

7. I think this links ti the tessa gray snippet

8. MortalInstrumentsFangirlNotThatItsImportant // December 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM // Reply

I really love this part so far! Simon has to shop for Izzy and Clary has to shop for Jace!

9. teamedwardjace // December 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM // Reply

I love it! Can’t wait! I also want a clace snippet and a sizzy and malec one,

10. Wow! This was one really looooong “snippet”!! I so can’t wait for this book to come out. But at the same time I can wait cuz it’s gonna be sad once I’ve read it and it’s the end.

11. Of course they are never going to have Christmas shopping as normal people again! Great snippet this book is going to have all! It`s the end guys i gonna miss this people!

12. Claire Herondale // December 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM // Reply

I love this! Clary and Simons’s BFF relationship, and lol at Simon saying she should get Jace a piano.

13. Lightwoodshadowhunterss // December 27, 2013 at 2:07 AM // Reply

This is so cute! Love the TBC reference! It was all good except for the cliffy ending.. I kinda think it’s when Clary meets Tessa, but with Cassie we can only assume the worst.
    I’m really glad that for the last book of both of Cassie’s series so far, both have Christmas in it. Hopefully, Christmas will be the happy ending in CoHF, like in CP2, but…..
    I really can’t wait any longer for the book! I really can’t wait for the cover reveal!

14. Oh come on a cliffy , I wanted to read more its really good so far and making me more impatient for the book . But what i really want to see is some clace , malec , sizzy and jaia .

15. OH DEAR GOD WHY A CLIFFHANGER

16. Here is my theory on COHF. I think that Sebastion will end up taking Clary (cuz of previously released snippet) and do something to her that causes her amnesia & Jace & co. will have to save her. Another reason I think Clare will take COHF in this direction is because the rest of the books it has been Jace always in trouble & Clary saving him & I think Clare will change it around this time.

17. Bex Fairchild (@BexFairchild) // December 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM // Reply

See this makes me want to scream! May why can’t you come?

18. I JUST DIED OF CUTENESS AND SWEETNESS AND WHYWHY SUCH A TORTURE WHYWHYWHY WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE…

19. Perhaps the emergency is that Jace is having problems controlling the heavenly fire or something. Accidently catching himself or something else on fire? Just another day at the office. 😀

20. Ugh omg. I need to read that books! It needs to come out!!:))) I love this series and this snippet just makes me want to read the book even more…:D can’t wait😀

21. Chris Cannon // January 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM // Reply

Reblogged this on Chris Cannon Writing and Ranting and commented:
    For TMI fans, here’s a taste of what is to come May 27, 2014

22. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO DIE!!! I WANT TO LOCK MY SELF IN A ROOM WITH A BUNCH OF BOOKS AND NUTELLA UNTIL THIS BOOK COMES OUT!!!

23. Darkened Sky // January 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM // Reply

Here, here, Cecily.

24. Jace+Clary Forever // January 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM // Reply

Who’s Tessa?

25. Jace+Clary Forever // January 14, 2014 at 12:24 AM // Reply

Who’s Tessa? I can hardly wait for the next book, Oh my gosh these books are the best thing I’ve ever read!

26. mattie herondale // January 18, 2014 at 11:41 PM // Reply

Shes freaking amazing. Read the infernal devices and youll find out

27. mattie herondale // January 18, 2014 at 11:43 PM // Reply

Alex pettyfer is literally the definition of jace. Why didnt HE take the role!