The Road to ‘Lord of Shadows’: What we know so far
It’s the 16th of May, so we are officially one (!) week away from the release of Lord of Shadows! Since it’s a Tuesday this also means that it’s time for the third installment of our The Road to Lord of Shadows.
I summed up everything (or nearly everything) Cassie has revealed about the book so far so sit back and get ready for lots of information 😉 This post doesn’t include information we got from snippets or the first two chapters that were released today.
First of all, we know the chapter titles and that they are all from Edgar Allen Poe’s poem Dreamland.
Here’s the jacket copy text:
Would you trade your soul mate for your soul?
A Shadowhunter’s life is bound by duty. Constrained by honor. The word of a Shadowhunter is a solemn pledge, and no vow is more sacred than the vow that binds parabatai, warrior partners – sworn to fight together, die together, but to never fall in love.
Emma Carstairs has learned that the love she shares with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, isn’t just forbidden – it could destroy them both. She knows she should run from Julian. But how can she when the Blackthorns are threatened by enemies on all sides?
Their only hope of the Black Volume of the Dead, a spell book of terrible power. Everyone wants it. Only the Blackthorns can find it. Spurred on by a dark bargain with the Seelie Queen, Emma; her best friend, Cristina; and Mark and Julian Blackthorn journey into the Courts of Faerie, where glittering revels hid bloody danger and no promise can be trusted. Meanwhile, rising tension between Shadowhunters and Downworlders has produced the Cohort, an extremist group of Shadowhunters dedicated to registering Downworlders and “unsuitable” Nephilim. They’ll do anything in their power to expose Julian’s secrets and take the Los Angeles Institute for their own.
When Downworlders turn against the Clave, a new threat rises in the form of the Lord of Shadows – the Unseelie King, who sends his greatest warriors to slaughter those with Blackthorn blood and seize the Black Volume. As dangers close in, Julian devises a risky scheme that depends on the cooperation of an unpredictable enemy. But success may come with a price he and Emma cannot even imagine, one that will bring with it a reckoning of blood that could have repercussions for everyone and everything they hold dear.
Cassie’s decription of Lord of Shadows:
- Lord of Shadows is set two weeks after the events of Lady Midnight.
- Kieran never made it back to the Wild Hunt. He was captured and is now sentenced to death so the characters go to Faerie to save him.
- They are also going to visit Cornwall, London & its Institute.
- Centurions from the Scholomance, Zara, Manuel (from Madrid) and Jon Cartwright from Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, are introduced in this book.
- The Cohort and their anti-Downworlders agenda will be addressed: They “want to register all Downworlders and number-ID them.“
- The characters “face the wrath of faerie kings and ancient immortal warriors, the schemes of the Seelie Queen, the restless dead and the bigots of the Clave”.
- We will meet the Unseelie King, who is in fact the Lord of Shadows, and some of his many children (for example Adaon).
- Lord of Shadows is 720 pages long. Its first word is “Kit” and the last word is “hour“.
- Cassie described the end of book with “blood” and we know that it is “brutal“. Four characters we know are going to die but the overall headcount is even higher because some characters who are introduced in LoS are also going to die.
- There is a bigger focus on Cristina, Kit, Ty, Dru and other characters.
- There are going to be lots of cute moments.
- The continuation of Emma and Mark’s “Why lie?” talk is addressed.
- There’s a big new aspect about the parabatai bond.
- The identity of the transgender character (a woman) is revealed.
- A building will burn down.
- Cortana does “something in LoS no other sword has ever done.“
- Terms mentioned in Lord of Shadows: “Blackthorn Hall. Thule. The Eldest Heir. The Riders of Mannanan.“
- Julian’s feelings for Emma will get explored. “He does have a pretty passionate kiss with someone“. He “gets angry about something in front of Emma, Cristina and Mark” and the others will be shocked.
- Cristina is aware that Emma and Mark aren’t a real couple (Lord of Shadows chapter sampler). She is going to dance with Mark and she “has a romantic dance with an unexpected guy“, maybe Kieran? There is a surprise coming for Cristina and Diego’s relationship and she will “sort of” choose between Mark and Diego.
- Mark is going to kiss a lot.
- Kit meets Jace (on the first page) and he will get a Herondale family ring. Kit is going to talk to a ghost (probably Jessamine Lovelace who does show up) and he’ll interact with Kieran.
- Ty’s neuroatypicality is addressed and “in the second book, when Kit mentions to Julian that Ty is autistic, Julian says, “What’s that?”“
- Livvy is protective of Kit, they will become friends and she will “kiss someone“.
- Dru “makes a very important discovery” which is magic-related.
- Diana has a point of view in the book, we get background information about her and find out why she’s friends with Catarina.
- We will find out about Malcolm and Annabel’s past and we meet her in person.
- Helen and Aline will show up. The Blackthorns are still trying to get Helen out of exile.
- We will find out Helen and Mark’s faerie names.
- Jaime Rosales finally shows up and he have an important love interest. We will learn more about Jaime and Diego’s family, “their secrets and their demanding past.“
- Marisol Garza, Jon Cartwright’s girlfriend, is mentioned in LoS.
- Gwyn “has a surprisingly big role to play” and he asks someone on a date. Cassie ships him with someone.
- We will meet new warlocks like Hypatia Vex.
- The Lightwoods’ family motto is revealed and other family mottos are discussed as well.
- There might be a secret prince in Lord of Shadows.
- Jem and Tessa won’t be in the book.
Characters from The Mortal Instruments
- Alec, Magnus, their kids and Robert are going to show up.
- Jace and Clary arrive in Los Angels with a message from the Consul (LoS chapter sampler). We are also going to find out why Clary turned down Jace’s proposal. Jace and Clare will eat Chinese food from the Jade Wolf.
- Rafael and Max are making friends with Tavvy and there will be some happy Bane-Lightwood family scenes.
- The Seelie Queen will return!
So that’s what we know. If I missed anything important please leave a link to the information in the comments or tweet me @Catreads.
Catch up on the Lord of Shadows snippets here but bear in mind that not very snippet might have made it into the final version of the book.
Now I need YOUR help for the final installment of The Road to Lord of Shadows. Tell me your predictions/theories or expectations. You can leave a comment here or tweet to @TMI_Source and/or use the twitter hashtag #LoStheories.
I will collect everything and post them next Monday, one day before Lord of Shadows is finally released!
Los theories! We’ll get the painful stuff over first. I think Livvy, Arthur, and Diego will die. I’d also put a tentative guess on Tavvy, Diana, and Jamie. But I think they’ll leave Ty and Dru to live because I think Livvy’s death and learning to live without her could be emotional fodder for TWP since Ty depends so much on his twin and Dru compares herself to Livvy.
I think they will successfully rescue Kieran but Mark won’t get back together with him. I think Mark will fall for Cristina and she’ll pick him instead of Diego because they both need a fresh start and their old relationships have too much baggage. I could see Kieran becoming the new Unseelie King at some point.
Emma is going to resist Julian for awhile but finally give in. She’ll tell him what the consequences of being together are going to be and when Livvy dies Julian will blame himself. Emma and Julian will try to end things. They’ll perform some really impressive magical feats together before this happens, it just won’t be enough to save everyone.
Helen and Aline will be able to return to the institute (and maybe get pregnant via a donor…yay baby??? and I bet Helen will carry the first child just to spite the Clave because they deserve it).
Julian and/or Emma will end the book going into the Wild Hunt to separate themselves from family since Helen is back. They may come up with a scheme to steal Gwyn’s cloak to garner a favor from him to potentially break the parabatai bond.
Arthur’s mad research ends up helping them in some way, but will also cost him his life.
These are great! Thank you, Marie!
I’m not going to pretend to be able to guess anything that will go on in this book – Cassie always throws me for a loop – but I do have a scene that I think might happen.
Julian will somehow see Mark kissing (or something like it) someone and completely go off on him. How he’s with Emma and she deserves the very best and if he doesn’t tell Emma what he did he will. And Mark will figure out that Julian loves Emma and why Emma asked him to be her fake boyfriend. Also, Mark will understand that he needs to keep lying and tells Jules that he’ll tell Emma what happened and from that Emma and Mark have a talk about the ‘why lie’ conversation. I also think super angry Julian will scare Mark a little bit and make him want to find a way to help Julian and Emma be together.
You can also tell us what you hope is going to happen in LoS! 🙂
I kind of have Arthur and Kieran on my dying prediction list.
Arthur because he is ailing and clearly not all there. Also so that maybe Julian or Mark ( maybe Helen) can become the official Head of the LA Institute.
And I think Kieran may die because he was banishes from the Unseelie Court and perhaps, later on, banished from the Hunt. I think he might die trying to save Mark from a death blow.
I think Kit is safe from the list because he’s a new character im the Herondale line, but I could be wrong.
I think Diana is the transgender character.
And I do like the theory about somehow getting Gwyn’s cloak to sever the parabatai bond between Jemma.
-There is strong textual evidence supporting Mark/Cristina as the final pairing of the series. When Mark thinks about Kieran he does it through the lens of the wild hunt. When Cristina thinks of Diego he reminds her of home. The fact that their feelings for their former/current relationships are muddled with nostalgia directly contrasts how they seem to connect on a more personal level.
-It’s clear that the seelie King has been plotting to get the black volume for years. He enlisted Malcolm for the task and pitted him against the blackthorns/clave so he could get it in the aftermath. Consequently, it’s possible the grudge between faeries and the blackthorn family goes way back and Arthur is probably the only one who knows about it in detail. Also, it seems like Sebastian planted “the weapon” (discussed in the LoS 1st 50 pages) in the hands of the Unseelie court as a countermeasure in case the Seelie Queen betrayed him (Idk if you can argue that this fact coerced her into acting). The weapon seems to require the black book.
-I think Julian will figure out Emma is lying to him, since he’s Julian and it’s fairly obvious. Someone will probably start searching for a way to sever their bond.
-This is a general series position, but I think Julian will eventually lose his position of power and maybe even his life like his namesake, Julius Caesar (he could be brought though, since him of Emma coming back from the dead would fit in with his sleeping beauty mural). Either way I think Arthur gets discovered and Julian gets removed from LA amidst some political fallout (he may have his marks stripped/leave the clave; he may just be relocated; or he may be dead). That being said, I think the rest of the family (whoever is still alive, which I think will be almost all if not all) stays together and Emma and Julian will have the opportunity to be together if they chose to do so (i.e they won’t be parabatai anymore).
interesting analysis! I’m curious to see how the unseelie king/weapon plotline plays out. I hadn’t considered that possibility.
I’ve also wondered if Cassie will temporarily kill Julian. That’s going to be a killer scene. But I think they’ll have to bring him back, because most of Cassie’s main couples end up together and it would be too sad if Julian stayed dead. The fans would riot. 😉 If he dies, that’ll take care of the parabatai bond problem I think. (though it didn’t with Alec and Jace so maybe not). I could also see them killing Emma to bring out the ruthless aspect of Julian’s character.
I like the Julius Caesar reference. nice idea and very much in Cassie’s wheelhouse. One of the reasons I love her books is that she ties in so many literary connections.
I think Jace and Alec’s parabatai bond remained since it was Raziel who granted Clary’s wish to bring him back, but who knows.
I love the theory too about Jules’ temporary death/ Sleepy Beauty mural. Cole may have pinned it, or you with the Gwyn’s cloak theory 🙂
I’ve been rereading LM and I think we’ll see Julian feeling jealous (though not in the macho sense) for more reasons than Emma dating Mark. Julian has been the kid’s ‘father’ for 5 years. Ty connects with Mark in a different way than Julian, though Julian has done a fine job with him so far. It’s natural for kids to find new mentors as they age than just their parents and it’s always a hard transition for the parent to see their child, who they’ve invested so much time and love into, start to value another adult so highly. I think as mark gets closer to the kids there will be some strain on their relationship with Julian, and even more so if Helen comes back. The whole family is reshuffling roles and there’s bound to be some strain as Julian is forced to give up more authority. Julian may have a hard time finding his place in the new normal and as the kids age. Julian doesn’t know how to be a normal young adult. He’s been a functioning adult for too long to go back. He as good as considers the kids his. I think mark’s presence will continue to cause friction in the family dynamic as well as his relationship with Emma. Julian could reasonably feel like mark is taking a lot away from him, even though he loves his brother and is glad he’s back. Just musing.
Four Character Will Die!? If I had to guess, I would think Arthur, Diago, one of the Blackthorn children, and maybe Diana?
Ever since Emma was lashed by the Faeries and interacted with her parents, I have believed she will somehow use Cortana to end the Parabatai bond. (Because she HAS to end up with Julian, right? Right??) Her parents told her “Wayland made blades can cut through anything.” Or something to that effect. I know when she saves Tavy she thinks that line in her head, but I believe it is Cassie throwing us off.
Fingers crossed Kit and Ty get together, but I also have a suspicion Kit and Livvy might hit it off.
Kieran could become the new Unseelie King… I am very excited about them journeying through Faery. And having Helen and Aline in the story!!
I also hope Annabelle is a good and helpful character but I seriously doubt that will be the case.
1. Kit and Ty will definetly involve romanticly
2. Ty finally comes to terms with the diffirence in him with all these centurions whom he used to think as his idols and became parabathai with Livvy
3. Christina admits herself that feeling make her close to Diego was unfinished relationship they used to had and the way he changed after he went Scolomance
4. Christina who also is aware of Jemma thing (even called them trains about to crash in LM) didnt ate all dating Mark thing who obviusly has feelings for her and they will more likely to share a kiss
5. Christina could also became cornered for her duty to her family and devotion for Emma and Mark (with all racist shadowhunters who are also around would say she too close to the Blackthorns)
6. Julian who is to sad to see Emma with Mark will kiss her at some point in a life and death point will be seen by someone who will share this to someone important and they will be in more danger.(that someone he shared a passioned kiss is more likely to be Emma because he is Julian and They are forever)
7. Julian will more likely to been cut by Cortana (while in Emmas hands who has been controlled by LoS) happened to cut his parabathai rune. (that thing Cassie said when she told Cortana will do something that a sword never done before because it posseses angelic power)
8. Kieran and Mark will realize they are bound to one another and they could end up in a spiral of selfless love with Cristina.
9. Kieran who wears Mark s elf bolt will never let him go even this was to make him enemy to the all fey world
10. One death will be the worlock we met at chapter 3 who owns the shadow market
11. Kit will come to terms with his nature and even could be a strong asset when it comes to running from the clave and its crazyness for Blackthorns (or just Emma and Julian if number 7 wont happen but ot probably will)
12.One Blackthorn will die most likely Uncle Arthur who will fight for children for the first time (he may have been poisioned by Fade during all these years) just after Julian desides to have him handled to clave to keep his brothers and sisters (Kit too obvy) and another burden on Julians heavy shoulders.
13. At some point in Unseliee Cort Emma and/or Julian will explode with a great enegy to protect one another and everyone there will know they are evolving to something bad regardless from how much Emma tried not too.
14. And number 7 will happen everywhere is in Julians blood leaves us unknowing wheter he will survive (being the last word of the book)
(15. Annabel will come back suffering from how broken she was by the way she was brought and will be third death.)
16. 4th may be look like Julian but that will change too.
OMG, THEORY SEVEN!!!!!
Most of the stuff that I think could happen has been addressed here so I’m just going to elaborate on the Julian joining the hunt thingie. If he does join the hunt I think his PARABATAI bond with Emma would break as he is now a a downworlder. The wild hunt is freedom something which Julian is in desperate need of after having born the responsibility for so much stuff. He would be a perfect hunter as well with his skill and ruthlessness. This theory is even more of a possibility if someone in his family like livvy died or if he has to save his family from something. There was even a snippet showing Jules view on the hunt !!
Ps. Having said all of that I’m ready to bet on my very existence that cassie is going to throw some random plot twist that would prove all these theories wrong ( like she very often does) and be lyk ” SURPRISE ! BET YA DIDN’T SEE THAT COMING !! “
I think you are so right. It’s easier to speculate how characters might be feeling, but when it comes to plot twists, Cassie throws some serious curve balls! I both can’t wait, and don’t want to know what happens next. Especially since the next one doesn’t come out for a couple years!
SO MUCH IS GONNA HAPPEN, I JUST CANNOT WAIT.
but sadly, i’m gonna have to wait a month because of exams….i’m contemplating reading the spoilers…
Nooo! Please, please don’t read the spoilers!! So many things are out of context and reading about everything online just isn’t the same as reading/experiencing the book.
Please don’t do it and good luck for your exams!
lol, okay, it’s gonna be difficult to resist the urge, but i’ll defo try!
And thank you!
I believe in you! 😊
-I know that this was considered a far-out theory but I saw the bit about the secret prince and in the first couple chapters Jace was talking about the Seelie courts “weapon” that could destroy everything so I have to ask is it really possible that there is a Seelie Queen/ Sebastion Morgenstern Kid? I mean a kid could be the weapon that is being referred to plus I feel like this could create some major problems in the story especially since it sounds like the Clave wants this “weapon” destroyed.
-I’m almost completely certain now that Diana is the Transgender women. It makes so much sense.
– I feel like the Blackthorns are going to have to sort of team up with the Seelie’s just because it sounds like their going to have some problems with the Unseelie King. I feel like they may need faerie help/protection not just from the hunt. It would also be interesting considering to was the Seelies that raided the LA institute in the war with Sebastian and the Seelie Queen was the one who handed Mark over to the Hunt.
– I also have another CRAZY THEORY when it comes to the Blackthorns and Seelie’s. It’s about Helen’s and Mark’s lineage. We know their mother was LadyNerissa in the Seelie court and was presumably well liked and respected. We also know she had a sister as it is said that it was the sister the kept and tortured Arthur Blackthorn while Lady Nerissa fell in love with Andrew. So what I’m getting at is what if the sister is the Seelie Queen. What if she’s Helen Mark’s aunt. We know that their mother was a high ranking fey so it makes sense, and also make Helen and Mark Seelie royalty. Let me know what you think.
Omg! That Seelie Queen theory makes a lot of sense and is definitely very likely! ! However I have been going thru cassie’s pintrest and came across this mysterious character named Nene.Any ideas who she is? It sounds like a fairyish name and I’m wondering if SHE could be nerissa’s sister! ! Or… she could be kit’s mundane ( I guess) mum.
What if people die…. But come alive and not stay dead forever!? These theories are hurting our brain!!