New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: Parabatai

COHF placeholderCassandra Clare shared a new snippet from City of Heavenly Fire, which features a parabatai reference that is guaranteed to shatter your heart.

parabatai. Like he was. And Jace knew, too, what that faded rune meant: a parabatai whose other half was dead. He felt his sympathy leap toward Brother Zachariah, as he imagined himself without Alec, with only that faded rune to remind him where once he had been bonded to someone who knew all the best and worst parts of his soul.

How are you guys feeling after that snippet? Check out more City of Heavenly Fire snippets here.

About Alyssa (2775 Articles)
Owner of TMI Source. Journalist and teacher by day, fangirl by night. Alyssa is too obsessed with sports, television, books, superheroes, and Shadowhunters for her own good.

32 Comments on New ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ snippet: Parabatai

1. AWWWW
    This make me so sad.

2. OMG!!!! I started crying remembering the Scenes from TID when Will thought Jem died and when Jem was with Tessa on the bridge remembering Will (right after Will did die) My Feels are soooo ;-(

3. omg, it can mean that Alec dies, or that Jace is no longer a Shadowhunter, or it’s about Brother Zachariah/Jem,… there are lots of possibilities!

4. They find a cure for Brother Jeremiah (AKA) Jem and he turns human again!! :DD

5. So stoked for this!!

6. I don’t think Alec will die because Cassie, like any great author, would never give away one of the biggest spoilers before the book even comes out. But I have no idea what this means! I just want this book to come out!!!!!

7. Gabrielle Cecily Herondale // November 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM // Reply

Sad face…… Why can’t next year come sooner? >:<

8. teamedwardjace // November 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM // Reply

I love jace . Including how empathetic and sympathetic he can be. Does that mean Alec had died? 😦

9. Want to hear something strange I was actually thinking about “parabatai” today and all of a sudden this comes up. But oh please let it not be our dear Alec.

10. Jace “knew” what it meant and “imagined” having a faded parabatai rune. Doesn’t say he had one. He can feel sympathy because he knows what the parabatai bond feels like, not necessarily because his is dead too. My money is that Alec won’t make it to the end of heavenly fire, but that’s just a guess and this quote has nothing to do with it.

11. Anna Herondale // November 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM // Reply

OMG this snippet stabs me right in the heart! And omg Jace is staring at Jem’s faded parabatai rune, thinking of how it means Jem must have lost his parabatai, and little does Jace know that Jem’s deceased parabatai was one of Jace’s ancestors!!!! ahhhhhhhidufhre8jvnkdudjhcbxeurxngvfksx8e78cj,xmegi3^%Eq!!!!!!!

12. Anna Herondale // November 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM // Reply

ANDDDDD that Jace’s very own parabatai, Alec Lightwood, is also a descendent of the bloodline of said deceased parabatai because Will’s sister got with Gabriel Lightwood!!!!!!!! jx,dcgfnsumdngfcdmgvfnkyuz!!!

13. Anna Herondale // November 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM // Reply

This quote is too much for me! I can’t!!!!!

14. JHerondale134 // November 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM // Reply

BTA…… I can’t breathe… Tbh, the only time that I’ve ever balled my eyes out none stop (for an hour might I add) because of a book was when Will thought Jem was dead. The most moving passages for me in Cassie’s books are the parabatai ones, so this is just killing me right now to say the least…

15. do i need to read TID to know who Brother Zachariah is¿? or is it fine i dont read those books¿?

• You should DEFINITELY read TID, I personally like them better than TMI, and there are a lot of little things here and there that link the two series together, and TID is essential to knowing Brother Zachariah’s whole backstory

16. Ok guys now that we are talking parabatai I came up with my own thoughts on parabatai. This is what i wrote.
    This unusual word used in the popular but brilliant book series “The Mortal Instruments” there is a term called “Parabatai” that was initially used to describe Jace and Alec’s relationship, but what does it mean? What are is a Parabatai anyway? Well if I had any way to describe it in my own words I would have to say a Parabatai is when someone (Shadow hunter or not) has a relationship with someone who feels like they are more than just best friends but someone who is very much like a surrogate brother or sister and kind of knows you better than you know yourself, and you have a profound trust in each other and such strong chemistry you swear that you were meant for each other not as lovers but that there is a reason why you came into each other’s lives. It’s more like your other half. They are a part of who you are, and they are always with you through the good times and the bad. It’s very sweet and touching. IT feels like a love story in itself but it’s really just a beautiful but powerful friendship and or brother/sisterhood. You depend on each other, watch each other’s backs, praise each other, and always have time to shoot the breeze, and crack a joke or two.  Ok I’m making this longer than I anticipated but anyway I am in love with the concept of this fancy term that it gives me another reason to love the mortal instruments, because it has some very beautiful relationships between the characters, whether it be lovers, family or friends. It’s an awesome thing.

• Anna Herondale // November 21, 2013 at 3:43 AM // Reply

You’ve got that right, Miranda!

And if you love the idea of parabatai & have not yet read the Infernal Devices, you are missing out big time. Will and Jem display the epitomy of parabatai bonds. Their story is the best I have ever experienced.

• JHerondale134 // November 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM // Reply

I didn’t think anyone was in love with the parabatai concept as much as I was, until I read this comment. I honestly couldn’t have said it any better myself….

17. ASDFGHJKL IM CRYING NO JOKE I AM CRYING

18. Rowena Drake // November 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM // Reply

Have you realized than, despite the spinnets, we know nothing about the plot? OK, we know from this one and a previous one that Jem is going to be Jem again, but that’s not something we don’t already know. And what about Jonathan and the war? The ones who die, what happens with Simon and his mum, or the Malec break up, or anything. There are some important things, but neither of the spinnets actually spoil the plot. We know almost nothing.

19. love it, love it, love it, i just want this book now!!! ive started to get more nd more scared and anxious about this last one about who dies, im even starting to think Clary might die even tho that cant be true, im going insane waiting thinking of awful scenarios….. like Jace dying :O i just can’t sjcbdskvbhoidicjal AGHHHH!!! but this snippet is soo sweet and sad i just love how much jace understands and the to think that jems parabatai is will, who is jace’s descendant its alll SOO SAD! I love the TID books but theres just something about TMI that i love more.

20. *sniffs sniffs* this is so sad *blows nose and continues bawling*