Godfrey Gao, Lena Headey and Jared Harris join the cast of ‘City of Bones’

It certainly wasn’t a boring day for the Mortal Instruments fandom as they welcomed three new cast members to the film adaptation The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.

Cassandra Clare sent the fandom into a frenzy with the announced castings of Magnus, Jocelyn and Hodge.

Godfrey Gao has been cast as Magnus Bane, the High Warlock of Brooklyn.

Cassandra Clare: Godfrey is, in addition to being all gorgeous and stuff, super-talented (his audition was awesome), loves the books, and is, like Magnus, ridiculously tall.

He is also super-nice — we emailed briefly and he said “I’m half Indonesian, because my mom is Peranakan Malaysian And my dad is Shanghainese – Soo hopefully the fans will like me playing Magnus!”

Lena Headey has been cast as Jocelyn Fray, the mother of lead heroine Clary (Lily Collins).

Cassandra Clare: Jocelyn is a really fun character to write. She’s overprotective (but for a reason) and often really unyielding and unsympathetic, but she’s also a heroine who saved the world from Valentine, endured a lot of loss, and can execute some pretty badass moves. Moral ambiguity is always fun to play and who does it better than (Lena).

Jared Harris (Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows) has been cast as Hodge Starkweather.

Cassandra Clare: Hodge is also a really complicated character. He’s not entirely bad, not entirely good. He’s a brilliant man led down a bad path a long time ago and he can’t turn back, but he does love those kids he tutored...He’s got SAG awards all over the place and I think he’ll really nail Hodge’s moral dilemma.

Godfrey, Headey and Harris join the cast of Lily Collins (Clary), Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace), Robert Sheehan (Simon), Jemima West (Isabelle), Kevin Durand (Pangborn) and Robert Maillet (Blackwell).

Filming on The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones begins filming on August 20 in Toronto and the film is slated for an August 23, 2013 theatrical release.

What do you think of the newest members of the City of Bones cast? What do you think of the cast as a whole (so far)? Sound off in the comments!

29 Comments on Godfrey Gao, Lena Headey and Jared Harris join the cast of ‘City of Bones’

1. beckycharliee // July 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM // Reply

You have no idea how accurate the first gif is. *goes into cardiac arrest*

2. Jessielynne // July 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM // Reply

VERY excited to see Jared Harris. He is brilliant as the recurring character of David Roberts Jones on Fringe.

• Yessss! I loved, loved him on Fringe (my fave TV show!)! He has such amazing on-screen presence and is a brilliant actor in a league of his own! He’ll be “pah-fect” as Hodge 😀

3. I did not expected at all, Alec would be the last character being revealed. I am dying to know. WHO IS HIM?, WHERE IS HE?, AM I LOOSING MY SANITY BEFORE THEY GIVE US THE ANSWER?!

4. I want to know who Valentine is.

5. this iz boss,love the magnus,now he nedsa boyfriend.

6. TeamEdwardJace // July 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM // Reply

nice i think godfrey will doo good though he’s a little old for the role and the other cast seems cool!

7. i wonder who Alec is?

8. Oh my freaking god!! Jocelyn is perfect, Magnus is HOT, and Hodge was not how I pictured him, but I’m fine with him. SO EXCITED!!

9. ~TMI & TID Fangirl~ // July 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM // Reply

I’m so excited!These three are perfect for their roles!

10. I hadn’t thought of Cersei from Game of Thrones but now that she has been cast I can see her as Clary/Lily Collins movie mom.

11. Jeff Jones // July 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM // Reply

I cant believe we find out Alec LAST JESUS MAN.

12. Omg so excited but yea I really want to no who is alec gonna be his the 1 im really interested in n I like our magnus 🙂

13. OMG!!! I feel overwhelmed with too much information this morning! But in a good way. 🙂 Lena too old, Hodge great and MAGNUS!!! OMFG!!! PERFECT!!! Handsome, asian, sexy. 🙂
    And now just Alec and Valentine left! I WANT ALEC NOW!!!!!!

14. I think Alec would be Ed Westwick. I’m sure about it. :((((

15. Luke, Alec & church to go 🙂

16. So happy with the casting! *JOY IS IN THE AIR!*
    Lena and Lily could easily pass as real-life mother/daughter which is a huge weight off my shoulder because I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t be able to find an actress with looks similar to Lily’s, but they have! Same striking features, green eyes, strong eyebrows(lol!) and nice full lips! Godfrey is utterly stunning – as Magnus should be! Jared’s perfect for Hodge and really, I mean REALLY fantastic actor!

PS. I just hope and pray that Alec isn’t Christian Cooke….

17. Perfect castiong. i’m glad they are getting strong actors for the adult roles and didn;t whitewash Magnus like other films.

Can’t wait to find out who will be playing Valentine and Luke. The adult actors have been impressive so far and these two are going to have to be amazing as they are badasses. Don’t care who they cast as Alec-he’s just bitchy and rather useless in CoB anyway.

18. Godfrey Gao is going to look perfect during kissing scenes, omg I can’t wait.

19. Reblogged this on jewlzpicperfectlife and commented:
    this is soooo exciting… i cant wait to find out who else gets cast

20. Hello kitty // July 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM // Reply

Magnus is hot… just sayin lol 🙂

21. I am sorry but I hate the cast for Jace!! I read all the books and was completely in love with this character. I imagined him way different. most of all, he was suppose to be extremely handsome and sexy. They did a great job with the rest of the cast but a big time fail with Jace.
    I lovvve our magnus bane and Jocelyn

22. Catherine Valentine // July 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM // Reply

i wonder if david tennet could be luke he is a spectacular actor and my mental image of luke
    i think the guy who plays lucius malfoy inharry potter would make a good valentine

1. Cassandra Clare addresses Alec’s (future) casting « TMI Source