Official: Jonathan Rhys Meyers cast as Valentine in CITY OF BONES

We now have confirmation that Jonathan Rhys Meyers has been cast as Valentine Morgenstern in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.

News on Rhys Meyers’ casting was broke by The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday, but was unconfirmed until now.

Cassandra Clare took to Tumblr to confirm the news and share her thoughts:

I’ve liked JRM since he was in Velvet Goldmine and I have to admit that image was what sprang immediately to mind when the producer called me and said “…Jonathan Rhys Meyers?”

I was like, “Velvet Goldmine!”

And Robert, who is German and very practical, was like, “I hope you have seen things he is in since then or I will assume you do not go to the theater.”

So yes I should probably also mention that JRM plays Henry the 8th on The Tudors, and does a very good job of being charismatic, power-hungry, and cold.

Also a man who appreciates his weaponry.

Did Henry the Eighth own unbuttoned white shirts? And unlaced pants? Either way I suppose we now see why Valentine got so many people to follow his crazy schemes. I suspect by the end of the movie everyone will be going “Just do what that good-looking guy tells you to do, you crazy kids!”

I should probably also mention that he was great in Match Point and Bend it Like Beckham and lots of my other favorite movies. So, in sum: Ireland, we have cleaned you out of   your hot men. Sorry about that. You can have them back in three months when they’re done filming. In the meantime, Sarah Rees Brennan has offered to go onset and paint shamrocks on all the trailers.

[Also I apologize for my absenteeism these past few days. I hate it when there are rumors and I can’t confirm them so I decided to pretend to be dead until I got the confirmation letter news, which was very good for Clockwork Princess, on which I got a lot of revision work done, if not necessarily for my sanity.]

Also, the official movie website, TheMortalInstrumentsMovie.com, has been updated with the casting.

Clare also revealed on Twitter that casting is complete for the film with just several mior roles left to be announced, including Raphael and Alaric.

Also, Clare teased when we could start seeing the actors in character:

What do you think of Rhys Meyers’ casting as Valentine? Sound off in the comments!

42 Comments on Official: Jonathan Rhys Meyers cast as Valentine in CITY OF BONES

1. Love it!!!

2. Soo.. Jocelyn did lose her head over Valentine.

3. KikiLOVESJace! // August 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM // Reply

He really does look evil and scary…EXCELLENT CHOICE! He fits Valentine excalty like I’ve pictured him!

4. GHJDFKSHDFJSHJ I CANT HANDLE THE GREATNESS THAT IS OUR CAST! LOVE HIM

5. JACE IS AWESOME // August 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM // Reply

WOW! I have never seen this many hot actors in a movie ;D I LOVE THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS!!! Can’t wait to see JRM as Valentine 😀

6. No, no, no, NO WAY! Please nooo! He’s Henry the 8th, not the evil father Valentine…. For god sake, Stephanie Corsalini are you blind???

• I agree, but not because he’s Henry the 8th. He’s to damn young to play Valentine. Valentine has white hair for shit’s sake!!!!!!!!! JRM is NOT old enough for white hair!
      If these films resemble the Twilight movies at all, I will destroy Hollywood.

• mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM //

K well u dont know anything just saying valentines hair is whiteblonde notwhite and in thebook they describe him by saying he didnt look different than the picture taken of the circle when he was like 17. Sooo i think hes purfect so what ever!

• I agreed with you on the Twilight part. but, seriously…Rhys is not that young, he is 35 years old. And Valentine is hanging around that age. I just don’t mind, perhaps I did not wait Valentine to be so hot, or young-looking. But I really do not mind.

• He doesn’t have white hair because he is old! Valentine had white hair when HE WAS 17!

• mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM //

Thank u c someone is onthe same pageas me! Thx

• Oh my god finally someone sees it! I agree he is waay to young to play Valentine! Well maybe he’d have to be eighteen when they had Jace and shadowhunters merry young but thats not the point. He needed to looked like Daniel Crieg I think or at least someone who looks like he’s the father of two teens. Not to mention the fact that Jamie Bower and Lily Collins are actually 23 so Valentine would have to look older since Hollywood insists on picking actors and actresses to play so much younger parts then they actually are. I completely agree His hair is supposed to freaking be white I am appalled by their choices in Valentine!!!! I also hate who they picked for Jace and Clary I wish they’d recast for City of Ashes but I know they won’t

7. I have not thought he is that young. I always imagine him as a man stronger and looking scary. May be Jonathan Rhys Meyers could make it, i hope he can.

8. I’m super excited about the cast!!

9. Well, he’s the hottest Valentine we could have ever asked for! hahah 🙂

• mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM // Reply

Yeh and again they described him as looking 17 still and any way i think he could be a pretty hot valentine and scary

10. mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM // Reply

Wow brilliant choice aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh i cant wait btw who is rapheal santiago? Plz dont judge me if i spelt it wrong i am really tired

11. Wait, what about Rapheal?!

12. YYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE HIM!!!!

13. I think he’s a great choice. Does anyone know who the costume designer is? I think Magnus should have his own.

14. mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM // Reply

WHO IS RAPHEAL? THATS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW! WHY ISNT HE CAST YET AND WHO IS AWSOME ENOUGH TO BE THE VAMPIRE BOY? AND BTW I DONT THINK HE SHOULD GO ABOUT TRYING TO KILL SIMON BUT BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT MATTER WHO THE HECK IS PLAYING HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. This is the most fucking amazing cast ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy shit!!!!!! so much hotness! TMI has the best best best andHOTTEST CAST OF ALL MOVIE HOLY SHIT! IM SO F***** HAPPY!!!

16. I thought Valentine was older. And i hope they dye his hair.

• Well… his hair is blonde, almost so light it is white. I’d assume they would dye his hair. Cassie said that they would of course dye Jemima’s hair, so I think they would of course dye the hair/give colored contacts to any actor that would need it for their character.

17. I’m really happy with the cast!!! I didnt particularly have a dream cast in mind. Personally, JRM seems a bit young in all his poctures, but I am confident in the casting directors. The only thing i’ve been miffed about is Jace. I realize JCB has his fanbase, but COME ON!!! Alex Pettyfer was created b the Cumberlord to be Jace. *deep breath* i’m done now. 😉

• Did you know that Alex P. was offered the part but HE TURNED IT DOWN??? He said he didn’t want to play teenagers any more. I don’t really like JCB either but it gets on my nerves when people say stuff like that still. I don’t want to be rude or anything like that I just wanted to say.

• mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM //

K i was just about to post that same thing and looked down and u beat me to it ha i think its cuz he thinks he will get to be finnick in cf but that would not work well i tink and he is a stupid k nvm i wont say what i want cuz yeh k i have got to kill that guy someday!!!!!!!

18. I love how we have THREE Irish actors for the movie! Excited for Johnathan, but I hope they dye his hair the shade of blonde the character has in the books.

• mykena(future mrs. wayland // August 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM // Reply

Me 2 and btw i think jcb would be a better sebation than jace what ev 🙂

• Not only gorgeous irish actors, but 1 British , 2 Canadian with one being half chinese !!!! The official cast looks amazing!! Can’t wait to see them on set!!

19. I swear to all that is holy…Valentine better have white hair in this film….

20. awesome…but they better dye his hair!

21. so Jonathan has the Belle du segneur premiere soon , he will play in TMI, and Dracula . i can’t wait to see this passionate actor!!!!!!!!!!

22. I agree that JRM is the correct age to be Clary and Jonathan’s father that is true shadowhunters get married young its completely possible for him to have had jonathan at eighteen. But the actors playing his kids are not actually seventeen and sixteen they are in their twenties, and I’m sorry but JRM looks younger than 35. He couldn’t be the father of kids in their twenties it’s not possible and he looks younger than he actually is. The fact that everyone seems to be okay with it just because he’s “hot” is disgusting. God help the make-up and costume people to make him look like he could be their father.

23. Are they at least going to bleach his hair? I mean, Valentine is known for his dark eyes and white hair….

1. Cassie Clare fala sobre Jonathan Rhys Meyers | Idris